Ravines

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mathewshooter

Ravines

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:35 am

Does anyone have any luck hunting ravines? I'm not talking about hills that drop of to lowland areas. I'm talking about where theres almost a straight drop of 100-150 feet and a stream at the bottom then it goes almost straight back up the other side 100-150 feet. The only logical way I can see to hunt these areas is to hunt at the top where the wind wont swirl but figuring out where they will come out of the ravine at the top is a crap shoot. I have one ravine I'm thinking about hunting that has an old logging trail running about 1/3 of the way down it. It runs the length of the ravine for about 300 yards before dropping down and crossing it. The deer are using it to cross the ravine. I'm thinking of trying to set up uphill from it so maybe my scent will blow out over top of it. Does anyone have any thoughts on hunting ravines?

I take my Bowhunting seriously
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Ravines

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:02 pm

I have hunted a few over the years. Never killed a buck out of one though.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:58 pm

I shot a scrub buck on the top side of the ravine where it funneled the deer through. wasn't as steep as what ur describing but he walked the ravine down and came up the ravine right to me for a 10 yard shot. my wind was blowing on an off angle towards the ravine.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:13 pm

burkhart wrote:Ravines are like cuts and ditches they will only cross in certain spots a that's where the funnel is.

Hunted what we Calle high walls back in my youth in wv. Kinda like a ravine steep steep sides not a lot of gradual crossings I learned early the deer would parrallel those for long distances. I look at them like a transition line... They would always have the wind and had nothing really to worry about on the other side since it was basically straight drops

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

This is what I've found as well during my scouting trips this winter. Theres trails that parallel the ravine about half way down and only certain spots that they go across. This is why I was thinking of setting up where the logging trail goes across, the deer have a major trail crossing right there and they follow the logging trail the whole way. I think I'm gonna have to get down there and float some milkweed to see how bad the wind swirls if at all. Like I said, I think trying to find a spot along the top where they come up is like a cap shoot. Maybe if there was a low spot they could follow up to the top it would be a good spot?
I take my Bowhunting seriously

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”