No clue where to start scouting this huge public parcel.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

No clue where to start scouting this huge public parcel.

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:44 am

This is the land I have to hunt. The creek on the left borders. I can enter from the other side if needed. The yellow is teh property boundry. The white is fingered clear cuts, at least 4 years old. The pink outilines a VERY THICK and nasty swamp.

The red lines are snowmobile trails. You can also see some coprn and soybean fields that border some of the land.

I can post more pics if needed kinda new to all this. The dominaant wind is from the North west, so teh top left corner bascially.

Thank you all very much in advance.

"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Buckshot20
500 Club

Re: No clue where to start scouting this huge public parcel.

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:00 am

I'm no expert but I think you answered your own question with the pink line. That's where I would start.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:57 am

Does the area get much traffic on the trails or other hunter pressure? If so I think I would start by looking at the piece in the SE corner next to the swamp and the SW corner towards the river.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:02 pm

The trails on the upper half get some traffic. The trail running from the bottom to the top I don't think that one does as it goes right through the swamp and is very hard to walk through. It may get some from snowmobiles after it freezes over, but until there is snow I doubt it does.

South of the marsh towards the SW corner I have seen some scrapes and rubs. I think the north side of the marsh may be good to.

Ty for the reply
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:52 pm

bump, please any help at all woudl be much appreciated
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:03 pm

I would absolutely start with your pink line on transition. Look for any micro points that stick out into the swamp with at least 3 sides of water around it.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:34 pm

It's tough to see in the small pic but here goes...

Thick and nasty swamp is always a good option for bedding. Walk the perimeter, and follow the trails in. They'll typically bed on any dry spots in a wet swamp. I've always liked creek bottoms too. It depends on the cover and size. If you want me to take a better look, PM me some better pics, and I'll have a better look.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:20 pm

Agreement with others. Start with the pink transition and then find bedding within the pink
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:04 am

tgreeno wrote:It's tough to see in the small pic but here goes...

Thick and nasty swamp is always a good option for bedding. Walk the perimeter, and follow the trails in. They'll typically bed on any dry spots in a wet swamp. I've always liked creek bottoms too. It depends on the cover and size. If you want me to take a better look, PM me some better pics, and I'll have a better look.

Thanks. I was out the other day and hunted along a transition line over a blown over cedar that deer were eating. the swamp is insanly thick. I will try to post a better pic that one is old from photobucket.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”