Buck Bed + Oak Trees - Keep Your Eyes Open

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetailassasin

Re: Buck Bed + Oak Trees - Keep Your Eyes Open

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:11 am

Czabs wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:
Czabs wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:This set up will take some serious strategy because I've found the bed that close to food, mature bucks don't move much in daylight being that close. But they will move at any hour because of the security if it's there.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

You don't think the buck will bed before dark and/or he might be moving any time of day??

I'm feeling confident in this spot if the acorns are gone but there isn't much for trees to cover the acorns and it is CLOSE so It'll take some wind or rain to dampen my noise getting in.

Its thick and nasty so cover and him seeing me shouldn't be an issue if I'm careful

I'm not saying this can't be done. I'm just saying in certain situations of saw beds close to food in high pressured areas, be hard to get daylight movement and I also have found they can usually see the food source being that close. I think it's going to be a great setup just giving you some food for thought.

No I'm picking ur brain now, I'm not offended from anything you said or anything lol. Have you had a lot of experience with these scenarios? Trail cams on secluded oaks? I would just assume he get up 10-20 minutes before dark and walk into the acorns to feed. I could be wrong. Like I said before I hope for no acorns and he comes straight to fields. Lots of good thick cover in between me and him that way. I have tree picked out 70 yards or so. He gets up and toward fields he done for.

What is the food adjacent to the oaks? That will determine his travel as well. Let's say beans...they maybe hard. If acorns drop, I believe he will be feeding on them especially once they first start to drop. I have a bedding area off a point that's littered with oaks all around and has a private field not far that usually has beans and corn, sometimes beets over beans. Early in the summer/late summer, mature bucks feed in the beans/beets. As soon as acorns start raining, which happens when beans are getting hard, they start feeding on the acorns. The beds(usually still bachelored) are on the point overlooking the oaks. That particular area gets browsed so hard the ground is barren. The approach has to be flawless and a little farther back then I'd like(instead of 70 yds more like 100) but the Bucks do two things. They either move early and it could be 3,4,5 or at last light like last 10-20. I sat Bayshore there this passed season and I think he sent me a text saying they were up at 5:30 gets dark at 8:30 early season here! Timing and pressure will dictate a lot. Every time I've hunted the private owners drive there ATVs down the edge and sit the corner. On days the don't hunt it, it's good. The bucks still bed there but don't move until they hear that ATV leave.

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:29 am

Tufrthnails wrote:Here in Fl when White oaks are dropping they truly are my ace in the hole. But I have found very few white oaks in Florida. You can be sure when I do find on it gets it's own mark in the GPS!

Live oaks are in the white family

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:30 am

I've been hunting the same few farms for 20 years and I've gotten to know individual oaks. All because its a white oak some deer will not eat them right away. Oaks of the same species will have different levels of sweetness. I know some white oaks the acorns will sit there and rot while others the deer gobble them up has soon has they hit the ground. I have two bur oaks on the edge of a swamp. They are part of the white oak family. They only produce about every 3 years. They are a magnet when they are dropping and bucks bed near them. I've seen the same with red oaks also. Some trees the deer prefer first.

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:51 am

Hawthorne wrote:I've been hunting the same few farms for 20 years and I've gotten to know individual oaks. All because its a white oak some deer will not eat them right away. Oaks of the same species will have different levels of sweetness. I know some white oaks the acorns will sit there and rot while others the deer gobble them up has soon has they hit the ground. I have two bur oaks on the edge of a swamp. They are part of the white oak family. They only produce about every 3 years. They are a magnet when they are dropping and bucks bed near them. I've seen the same with red oaks also. Some trees the deer prefer first.

I have heard this.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:13 am

Hawthorne wrote:I've been hunting the same few farms for 20 years and I've gotten to know individual oaks. All because its a white oak some deer will not eat them right away. Oaks of the same species will have different levels of sweetness. I know some white oaks the acorns will sit there and rot while others the deer gobble them up has soon has they hit the ground. I have two bur oaks on the edge of a swamp. They are part of the white oak family. They only produce about every 3 years. They are a magnet when they are dropping and bucks bed near them. I've seen the same with red oaks also. Some trees the deer prefer first.

Its one of the reasons with nuts, you live and die by them. Sometimes, there is no rhyme or reason when they will produce. Have an urban spot. 1000's of oak trees. I have NEVER seen an acorn crop to speak of. Its crazy. The trees had a drought a bunch of years ago..or blight....not quite sure. They just do not produce nuts.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”