Buck Bed + Oak Trees - Keep Your Eyes Open

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Re: Buck Bed + Oak Trees - Keep Your Eyes Open

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:53 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:
Czabs wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:Very common to see this in here in the northeast with lots of timber. Lots and lots of wild apple trees with huge amounts of cover around them. Many times, bucks will bed within 60yds from them. Sometimes near impossible to even get shots or access.

So are you hoping there is acorns or not? Sounds like it would better for you if there were no acorns. OR is that the reason he beds there is because of the acorns....its what makes this game so much fun!!

YIKES! That sounds difficult. Acorns and I have a love/hate relationship. That is a good thought...does he only bed there if there is acorns? I am not sure...but its in such a good location for safety I almost have to think he beds there acorns or not. I am hoping there are no acorns, it would make my life much easier! It would kill me to watch him head that direction...and I was sitting in the other tree. There is only one way to find out!

Many of the spots I hunt ...many beds are utilized by what apples produce where. Killed a target buck there this season. Bucks really only utilize these beds every other year when the apple trees produce.

I also have one oak, when it drops, I get 2000+ pics every 3 days during October. However, mostly small bucks and does. I am sure if there were more mature bucks around it would be awesome. I would do all day sits first of October in this spot IF I knew big bucks were on it. Deer moved on acorns ALL day. However, this tree produced in 2012, but nuts all dropped before season started. This year, 2015 it produced again. Heavy heavy. BUT no big bucks. There was one 6yr old buck that lived in the area...however, he never came to feed on this oak. He was closer to where I hope to kill him at next season.

It will be interesting to see what you end up finding out. I think its why I thoroughly enjoy reading the journals. We all have hunches. Interesting to see if they pay off come season.

I was hoping to learn a good amount on a secluded oak next to a bed this last year but when i went in to check the camera was gone :twisted:

I've noticed a lot of the smaller oak trees actually produce a fair amount of acorns and they get hit hard EARLY out in the swamp. I've never seen big bucks on acorns during daylight yet. Just yr olds and does.

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:55 pm

Here in Fl when White oaks are dropping they truly are my ace in the hole. But I have found very few white oaks in Florida. You can be sure when I do find on it gets it's own mark in the GPS!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:57 pm

This set up will take some serious strategy because I've found the bed that close to food, mature bucks don't move much in daylight being that close. But they will move at any hour because of the security if it's there.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:01 pm

Czabs wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
Czabs wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:Very common to see this in here in the northeast with lots of timber. Lots and lots of wild apple trees with huge amounts of cover around them. Many times, bucks will bed within 60yds from them. Sometimes near impossible to even get shots or access.

So are you hoping there is acorns or not? Sounds like it would better for you if there were no acorns. OR is that the reason he beds there is because of the acorns....its what makes this game so much fun!!

YIKES! That sounds difficult. Acorns and I have a love/hate relationship. That is a good thought...does he only bed there if there is acorns? I am not sure...but its in such a good location for safety I almost have to think he beds there acorns or not. I am hoping there are no acorns, it would make my life much easier! It would kill me to watch him head that direction...and I was sitting in the other tree. There is only one way to find out!

Many of the spots I hunt ...many beds are utilized by what apples produce where. Killed a target buck there this season. Bucks really only utilize these beds every other year when the apple trees produce.

I also have one oak, when it drops, I get 2000+ pics every 3 days during October. However, mostly small bucks and does. I am sure if there were more mature bucks around it would be awesome. I would do all day sits first of October in this spot IF I knew big bucks were on it. Deer moved on acorns ALL day. However, this tree produced in 2012, but nuts all dropped before season started. This year, 2015 it produced again. Heavy heavy. BUT no big bucks. There was one 6yr old buck that lived in the area...however, he never came to feed on this oak. He was closer to where I hope to kill him at next season.

It will be interesting to see what you end up finding out. I think its why I thoroughly enjoy reading the journals. We all have hunches. Interesting to see if they pay off come season.

I was hoping to learn a good amount on a secluded oak next to a bed this last year but when i went in to check the camera was gone :twisted:

I've noticed a lot of the smaller oak trees actually produce a fair amount of acorns and they get hit hard EARLY out in the swamp. I've never seen big bucks on acorns during daylight yet. Just yr olds and does.

I will hunt nuts when and IF I know a big buck is using them. Problem is ...with timber, when there is one tree producing, there are a 100. So it can be super tough to pin a big buck down. Had one buck I was hunting in 2014...it was rainy and I walked into the oak flat to check sign...WHAM there he is 40yds in front of me at 9am in morning feeding on nuts. Setup on him in morning headed back to bed. LONG walk through timber to get to spot. Nature called half way there. Made me 10 minutes late. Cost me a shot at this buck. I believe he was headed back to bed coming off the nuts. He saw me pulling up my bow. He ended up getting killed by a gun hunter that season.

Apples are way more stable and predictable. Oaks are just so iffy when they produce.
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:03 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:This set up will take some serious strategy because I've found the bed that close to food, mature bucks don't move much in daylight being that close. But they will move at any hour because of the security if it's there.

You don't think the buck will bed before dark and/or he might be moving any time of day??

I'm feeling confident in this spot if the acorns are gone but there isn't much for trees to cover the acorns and it is CLOSE so It'll take some wind or rain to dampen my noise getting in.

Its thick and nasty so cover and him seeing me shouldn't be an issue if I'm careful
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:17 pm

Here is one of the rubs in the bed..

I'll be picking this scenario apart. It will be fun. Connecting all on film should be really cool. Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:25 pm

This sounds like a great setup. I have another question to throw in there. Do you know what the destination food source will be this year?
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:28 pm

Mibowfreak wrote:This sounds like a great setup. I have another question to throw in there. Do you know what the destination food source will be this year?

They have everything, ever year. Food plots, corn, oaks, beans. If those oaks aren't dropping near his bed and he is bedded there. He will be coming out the intended direction. No doubt.
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:40 pm

Czabs wrote:
Mibowfreak wrote:This sounds like a great setup. I have another question to throw in there. Do you know what the destination food source will be this year?

They have everything, ever year. Food plots, corn, oaks, beans. If those oaks aren't dropping near his bed and he is bedded there. He will be coming out the intended direction. No doubt.

Perfect!!!

These are the scenarios, where I picture a cell trail camera setup looking down on those oaks could pay off huge.

Looking forward to seeing it play out on one of your films. Really like what you have going on. Keep on keeping on man.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:08 pm

If it still had leaves it's probably a type of red oak.

Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:11 pm

Mike wrote:If it still had leaves it's probably a type of red oak.

no leaves
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:41 pm

Czabs wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:This set up will take some serious strategy because I've found the bed that close to food, mature bucks don't move much in daylight being that close. But they will move at any hour because of the security if it's there.

You don't think the buck will bed before dark and/or he might be moving any time of day??

I'm feeling confident in this spot if the acorns are gone but there isn't much for trees to cover the acorns and it is CLOSE so It'll take some wind or rain to dampen my noise getting in.

Its thick and nasty so cover and him seeing me shouldn't be an issue if I'm careful

I'm not saying this can't be done. I'm just saying in certain situations of saw beds close to food in high pressured areas, be hard to get daylight movement and I also have found they can usually see the food source being that close. I think it's going to be a great setup just giving you some food for thought.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:37 pm

I like the set up. Look at the leaves on the ground to determine what kind of oak trees you have.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:23 pm

Stanley wrote:I like the set up. Look at the leaves on the ground to determine what kind of oak trees you have.

Didn't think of that. Shoulda dug through the snow!

Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:28 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:
Czabs wrote:

I'm not saying this can't be done. I'm just saying in certain situations of saw beds close to food in high pressured areas, be hard to get daylight movement and I also have found they can usually see the food source being that close. I think it's going to be a great setup just giving you some food for thought.

No I'm picking ur brain now, I'm not offended from anything you said or anything lol. Have you had a lot of experience with these scenarios? Trail cams on secluded oaks? I would just assume he get up 10-20 minutes before dark and walk into the acorns to feed. I could be wrong. Like I said before I hope for no acorns and he comes straight to fields. Lots of good thick cover in between me and him that way. I have tree picked out 70 yards or so. He gets up and toward fields he done for.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”