dead deer

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Re: dead deer

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:42 am

I usually find a few, used to find lots in the deer yards up north, always picked clean by the wolves

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Jed33

Unread postby Jed33 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:50 am

Found a decent 8 pt dead yesterday.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:36 am

Interesting. Not surprised to find dead ones necessarily, but surprised I am finding them as frequently as I have been. Winter has been fairly easy here in southern WI so far, and predator sign hasn't been any higher than I remember seeing. Maybe I am just finally dialing into some areas with higher deer populations. I hope that is the case!
mermatt83

Unread postby mermatt83 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:12 pm

I've found two while scouting this winter. It's also been very mild here in upstate ny. And, essentially, zero snow fall this winter. I was thinking, when I found the first one, that beast hunters probably find lots of dead deer while scouting because we're out looking for all the places deer like to hide from danger and by transition lines near water, and aren't those the places that many deer go to to die? Made sense to me that I'd run into lost deer and dead deer.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
droptine84

Unread postby droptine84 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:44 am

I will usually fine two or three dead one's most seem to be predator kills. I have found a few in the past years that looked to be bedded fawns/yearlings that may have died from the cold/starvation.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”