Who wants to hunt the south?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Who wants to hunt the south?

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:32 am

Someone talked me into getting snake chaps two years ago, no kidding the very first time i wrote them i was clearing brush on a stream access and had a stick pop my gaitor.... Looked down and saw a three fit moccasin sitting right where i thought that stick was...... Been hit once more since then. Down here, in the creeks you better wear fairies or one will get you and yes I've killed them in November and December..... It's almost 80 today

[ Post made via Android ] Image

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:34 am

Tufrthnails wrote:
Buckshot20 wrote: Bannana spiders(they are just creepy)

Bwahahaha! nanner spiders I might hate them the most. There are many seasons I kill multiple moccasins or pygmy rattlers every Archery season sit. I got two bow kills on Moccasins. One only 3ft long was bigger then a softball around. I shot him because he was under my stand and I didn't want to run into him on my way out. The second bow kill was longer but only about baseball size. Most that I kill are in the 18" to 2.5ft range. If it gets super wet we down here get what is known as the bonus bump, which is when you run one over with front tires then slam brakes and drag the back tires.

Hahaha forgot about spiders...we got black widows and brown recluse...I stuck my hand in the mailbox one day and there a black widow sat.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:35 am

Tufrthnails wrote:

Bwahahaha! nanner spiders I might hate them the most. There are many seasons I kill multiple moccasins or pygmy rattlers every Archery season sit. I got two bow kills on Moccasins. One only 3ft long was bigger then a softball around. I shot him because he was under my stand and I didn't want to run into him on my way out. The second bow kill was longer but only about baseball size. Most that I kill are in the 18" to 2.5ft range. If it gets super wet we down here get what is known as the bonus bump, which is when you run one over with front tires then slam brakes and drag the back tires.

FYI they give live birth and are usually pregnant during bow season. After you kill momma she will give birth so be ready for the rest of the little boogers. I claimed 12 on labor day because of this

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:37 am

checkerfred wrote:
Tufrthnails wrote:

Hahaha forgot about spiders...we got black widows and brown recluse...I stuck my hand in the mailbox one day and there a black widow sat.

I'm always spraying my garage for the widows. We get a lot of sqorpions here. Not sure why. The little ones. I see them a lot in the pines

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:40 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Someone talked me into getting snake chaps two years ago, no kidding the very first time i wrote them i was clearing brush on a stream access and had a stick pop my gaitor.... Looked down and saw a three fit moccasin sitting right where i thought that stick was...... Been hit once more since then. Down here, in the creeks you better wear fairies or one will get you and yes I've killed them in November and December..... It's almost 80 today

I'm a believer in snake boots now. I've been struck by ground rattlers and they never get through rubber boots but I was in season scouting a little early bow season because we got a ton of rain, I walked in toward a little bay head and I was standing there and felt something slapping my leg. I looked down and was standing on a ground rattlers head and he was flapping. We had a quick conversation and went our separate ways

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:22 pm

Buckshot20 wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Someone talked me into getting snake chaps two years ago, no kidding the very first time i wrote them i was clearing brush on a stream access and had a stick pop my gaitor.... Looked down and saw a three fit moccasin sitting right where i thought that stick was...... Been hit once more since then. Down here, in the creeks you better wear fairies or one will get you and yes I've killed them in November and December..... It's almost 80 today

Just rubber boots are enough to stop them?

I'm a believer in snake boots now. I've been struck by ground rattlers and they never get through rubber boots but I was in season scouting a little early bow season because we got a ton of rain, I walked in toward a little bay head and I was standing there and felt something slapping my leg. I looked down and was standing on a ground rattlers head and he was flapping. We had a quick conversation and went our separate ways

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:33 pm

Just rubber boots are enough to stop them?

Ground rattlers yes. They are not very big. They don't get much over 2ft. Short skinny fangs. If the ground is hard you can step on their heads. They will crawl up on palmettos and get you in the thigh though. I don't want to trust rubber boots on moccasins though.

Last edited by Buckshot20 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:34 pm

Man i hate the south, too hot, too many tics and spiders and all that crap, rattle snakes are delicious though, you guys eat any other snakes?

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:36 pm

Bayshorebuck8 wrote:Man i hate the south, too hot, too many tics and spiders and all that crap, rattle snakes are delicious though, you guys eat any other snakes?

You've got ice and blizzards though. I'm not sure how to handle that stuff. I've never tried any other snakes

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:39 pm

Ill take ice and blizzards and whiteout conditionds over , scorpions, spiders and all the other nasty insects , i dont mind snakes, ive caught them lots and chop the head off skinned em gutted em and cooked them in a batter just like fish mmmmmmm good

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:44 pm

Buckshot20 wrote:Just rubber boots are enough to stop them?

Ground rattlers yes. They are not very big. They don't get much over 2ft. Short skinny fangs. If the ground is hard you can step on their heads. They will crawl up on palmettos and get you in the thigh though. I don't want to trust rubber boots on moccasins though.

Is that a Pygmy rattler?

Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:49 pm

cedarsavage wrote:
Buckshot20 wrote:Just rubber boots are enough to stop them?

Is that a Pygmy rattler?

Yes, sorry

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:53 pm

No thanks, I'll pass on the dangerous snakes..

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:11 pm

I'm not sure I trust snake boots...I had some on but I've read where some manufactures don't test them on snakes with a hard bite. I want something that will stop everything.

Any recommendations?

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:12 pm

Dewey wrote:I'll trade you for wolves, bear, cougars and coyotes. At least the snakes won't wipe out the deer herd.

Heck no give me all of those over snakes!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”