Who wants to hunt the south?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Who wants to hunt the south?

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:48 pm

How many times have you guys been actually been hit by snakes. I know you all use precautions like snake boots and such but just wondering how common it is?

Are gator attacks and poisonous snake bites something that is very frequent occurrence down there? What do you do if bitten? Do you carry any type of snake bite kit?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:21 pm

Had a moccasin in the pool filter the other day.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:24 pm

I've been bitten once by a copperhead. Luckily it was a dry bite. I have walked up on countless snakes while hunting. Specially near our swampy areas an river bottoms. We got a saying at the camp. Where there are frogs there are snakes.
Last edited by Ghost Hunter on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:24 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... homes.html

This guy had it coming

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:26 pm

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/bre ... story.html

It happens

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:28 pm

Buckshot20 wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3350360/He-hid-wrong-place-Florida-man-killed-eaten-ALLIGATOR-hiding-police-caught-robbing-homes.html

This guy had it coming

We could use a few gators like that in the Milwaukee inner city. :think:

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:36 pm

Copperheads are not real bad but the moccasins are nasty and their bite is pretty nasty. We also have a ton of rattlesnakes on the creeks. Snake bites are pretty rare but you hear of a few each year.

Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:37 pm

Dewey wrote:How many times have you guys been actually been hit by snakes. I know you all use precautions like snake boots and such but just wondering how common it is?

Are gator attacks and poisonous snake bites something that is very frequent occurrence down there? What do you do if bitten? Do you carry any type of snake bite kit?

Personally, I have never been bitten by a snake. However, I did have a baby gator bite me on the shin bone while crossing a creek one morning on a 2x4. Actually, your eyes get used to seeing them and you get to where you can pick a lot of them out. I don't carry a snake bite kit.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:43 pm

Yes we have rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouths and lots of other snakes that are not Venomous .
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:49 pm

Dewey wrote:How many times have you guys been actually been hit by snakes. I know you all use precautions like snake boots and such but just wondering how common it is?

Only twice. SMall rattler and a coral snake, snake boots on both occasions.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:52 pm

Moccasins and pigmy rattlers are rarely fatal but will make you sick. Diamondbacks can be fatal but usually not. People bit by diamond backs that I have met are never quite right though. Could just be me.

Hunting with hounds is is real popular down here. Most of those dogs will be bitten at some point through the season. Snake bites are not uncommon but not usually life threatening. Inconvenient though.

Dogs are eaten by more alligators than anything. I swear I think they are a delicacy for them. Most gators hide from humans. The problems come from either feedi g the gators or swimming during nesting season. Feeding eliminates the natural fear and the big gators get protective of their nests.

Once they reach the 10ft length is when I pay attention. They are dinosaurs with a brain the size of my thumb with no natural predators. King of the river. At that size they can and will eat hogs and small deer, racoon's, anything they can catch at that point. These big gator need some deeper water though like 4-5ft. Knee deep marshes shouldn't hold them. Chest deep, different story. The good news is you can usually smell the big bull gator because they stink...bad.

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:06 pm

Had a moccasin strike but it wasn't close.. it's not real common to get bit but just have to be careful, ive stepped over plenty... gator attacks are rare

I don't think the dangers here are any higher than the big game if not less... really it all probably evens out...

The main issue here is the lack of deer and having to go through all that for such low rewards lol

Make It Happen
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:13 pm

The main issue here is the lack of deer and having to go through all that for such low reward

Bingo

IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:32 pm

I haven't had a snake issue while hunting in a while (I expect to come across several this year with the properties I added). But, I grew up bowfishing the shallows of all the creeks and lakes around where I grew up. Several of the places required a "shooter", essentially my little brother in a flat bottom boat with a 410. I had more than one moccasin chase me in early spring, the young ones are the most unpredictable.

EDIT: to answer a previous question... I have had 1 strike that I was lucky enough that it hit my fingernail instead of my hand.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:35 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:Copperheads are not real bad but the moccasins are nasty and their bite is pretty nasty. We also have a ton of rattlesnakes on the creeks. Snake bites are pretty rare but you hear of a few each year.

I think that list would be enough to keep you on your toes. Any of you Wisconsin guys have encounters with timber rattlers?

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”