Hog beds..

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jphunter
500 Club

Hog beds..

Unread postby Jphunter » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:43 am

I scouted a new area yesterday that looked good from a map. The area showed to have a good buck in the area from all of the big buck tracks and large tall rubs. I'm pretty sure there's a good one using this area to bed but I wanted to share a picture of the hog bed I found. At first glance I thought it was the bucks bed because of the large rubs and tracks were within eye sight from the bed. There were several trees around the bed that were busted in half, but the trees were pushed to the bed forming a small barrier around the bed. I've heard hogs will so this in inclement weather.. Has anyone seen this before?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Hog beds..

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:51 am

Hogs tend to bed in the sand locations bucks prefer.... On edges, points, transitions, etc.... That is one reason i think a lot of bucks bed randomly down south, the good are shears kicking then out of their preferred beds. I think hogs are drawn to the scent of bucks and I have watched many hogs rub on the trunks of licking branches. And telling young high tracks from bucks is also not always easy.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:11 am

Could possibly be a sow build a nest. I've seen them do this with palmetto leaves.

Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:39 am

Yeah Dave, they can for sure push deer around. They seem to move around a lot. One minute they have taken over an area and then they are gone. CBigbear I've seen the nests your talking about also, actually had a sow build one of those nests in front of a game camera one time.

Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:20 am

Yep, the hogs down here can ruin your hunting and the scouting and work done for your setups. If the hogs stay around very long the deer will relocate, this happens to me a lot. That's why I scout more than I hunt during the season, trying to relocate my bucks.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:23 am

Wow they really mowed that place down. Glad i dont have to deal with those.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:59 am

I scouted the hills I hunt one day during season. Scouted a point I thought would have buck bedding. I found a bed worn to the dirt and was pumped...until I found another and another then several more. Got down really close and inspected and found hog hair. This area was the same elevation I would expect deer especially bucks to be bedded on

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:29 am

I absolutely hate the auto correct feature on my phone... I'd rather have a misspelled words instead of my phone deciding I meant another word. Hopefully you can decipher my first post

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:29 am

I absolutely hate the auto correct feature on my phone... I'd rather have a misspelled words instead of my phone deciding I meant another word. Hopefully you can decipher my first post

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”