Recent Scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rff

Recent Scouting

Unread postby rff » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:57 am

Last Thursday I had the opportunity to get out and scout some new public land. It was an area full of rolling hills leading back to a lake. The lake is surrounded by marsh and thick. In the past I would often find myself lost and not know where to start. This time was different. I kept remembering to follow the edge and dive in from there. Thats exactly what I did. Unfortunately, every time I thought it was getting good I would look around and find existing ladder stands and stands. Oh well. I jumped to an island in the middle of the thick stuff and low and behold there was a stand too. Was a good experience for me nonetheless.

I did find an area closer to the truck. It has a pond on one side and a swamp on the other. It had a patch of hardwoods going between it. Area surrounded by rolling hills. Seemed like a promising spot to keep in my mind. It appeared to be absent from any existing stands as well. Wasn't able to locate any specific beds but there were a few active trails dissecting the area.

I got out and did some more scouting yesterday on a public piece I have had a little, just a little experience on. I used it as an experience to continue to learn the lay of the land and where others (hunters) are. I did find spot I will hunt next year. Just inside the edge leading to hardwoods.

It was two great afternoons. Looking forward to more.

Crazinamatese

Re: Recent Scouting

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:05 am

8-) Seems like that was a good day of scouting. Keep at it.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Recent Scouting

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:56 am

Same here man! found some excellent spots then stands... mostly rifle stands too. one possible overlooked area. Was more of a test run really to make sure I knew what I was doing :lol: Lots of beds closer to parking watching access trails and bedding w the wind at their back which coming straight from the parking lot! Smart animals! 8-) Found an absolute monster rub line but got dark so that's where im starting and heading a lot further back this weekend.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”