Scouting in deep snow.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Scouting in deep snow.

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:35 pm

Do you guys think it's worth it to scout snow about a foot deep or is it better to just wait until spring? I'm guessing a few deer have shifted their range and already yarded up. I have an itch to get out and find all kinds of new info. It just seems like I'd be spinning my wheels looking for sign thats covered up. What do you guys think?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Re: Scouting in deep snow.

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:49 am

If you enjoy just getting out, throw some snow shoes on and venture. But, a foot of snow means it will be difficult to put intel together. I'd wait it out for less to no snow. If it's fresh snow, wait it out and the tracks/trails will give you a great sense of how they travel through the land.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:10 am

Deep snow to me is waist deep (although the older I get, the less that is true!). I have hunted in Michigan's Upper Peninsula in December where the first sign of an approaching deer was a pair of ears above the snowline moving my way...

A foot of snow is not a big deal to me. Is it optimal? Of course not, but finding big sign post rubs and an extra buck bed or two can sometimes make all the difference in a season. Why is it important to me? Because it never ceases to amaze me how fast greenup and bugs move in when the snow is off. Take a look at the other post in the scouting thread about correlating winter sign to fall hunting for a tip or two.
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:41 am

If I have time to scout, I go. A foot of snow is not going to stop me from getting out there scouting. There is still a lot that you can take in out there even with the snow. When you do find a good area or somewhere you believe a big buck is bedding, remember that spot and come back when the snow has melted off then you can see what you want.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:19 am

isitseasonyet? wrote:Do you guys think it's worth it to scout snow about a foot deep or is it better to just wait until spring? I'm guessing a few deer have shifted their range and already yarded up. I have an itch to get out and find all kinds of new info. It just seems like I'd be spinning my wheels looking for sign thats covered up. What do you guys think?

In Maine, we saw nearly 4' of snow last year at this time. This year? We have pretty much bare ground. I used to scout through the snow with snow shoes. Great exercise...better than sitting around doing nothing. BUT I do not scout in deep snow anymore. I do a lot of post season scouting till we get snow. Spend the time with deep snow cutting/splitting firewood for the next year.

It is crazy here in Maine right now. Supposed to be in 40s today. Crazy part is that winter is far from over. I will take it. It really really helps the deer herd.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”