Huge thanks to WMAHunter great scouting trip

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Huge thanks to WMAHunter great scouting trip

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:03 am

first off a big thanks to WMAHunter for answering my never ending questions and giving advice. My second beast style scout was awesome. I bumped 6 deer one being a legal 6pt. To give perspective I have seen one deer in my 6 years of killing time in this WMA. Because that is all I was doing there. yesterday I scouted 6 spots I had identified with his help. found a bunch of beds and bumped some deer off some. To say I am stoked for next season is an understatement. I was talking with the check station attendant and he said over 7000 hunters have been through his gate there are 2 gates. there are places I have scouted past that have 4 stand within 200 yards of each other overlooking the same cutdown!

Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Huge thanks to WMAHunter great scouting trip

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:19 am

8-)
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:05 am

Awesome and good luck
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:00 am

That is awesome. What were the big hurdles you were over looking in your scouting? Terrain, sign?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:48 am

Buckshot20 wrote:That is awesome. What were the big hurdles you were over looking in your scouting? Terrain, sign?

Probably mindset and deer behavior. I never bothered looking for beds because it is just so easy to walk right by one and never know it was there if you don't know where they should be. I was the "rub line hunter". Find a rub line hunt it. my other thing was acorns i would find acorns and sit them. I never realized there is actually elevation changes even in a swamp that matter. I have watched marsh bucks 6 times now and it still hasn't all set in.

Another hurdle was the fact that not many deer get killed in this wma compared to the amount of hunters that come through the gates, so I figured they just weren't there. I proved that wrong to myself yesterday. now to take it to the next level and actually kill one of these swamp donkeys next season. this rest of this season and small game and turkey is for scouting and locating!

Another thing I am doing is keeping a scouting journal. I fill it out immediately when I get back to the truck. It is amazing what I forget in a 20 mile drive back to the house. I do know one thing I have got to get the Jeep back running I nearly got stuck getting out of my parking spot in my 2wd chevy 2500!
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:08 am

Sweet, I hope you keep at it and slay some studs. It's great that a veteran beast took time to hook you up. That shows the kind of people on this site. Nice job WMA and good luck tuff

Tcarlson

Unread postby Tcarlson » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:39 am

That is some great success. I would recommend you buy Dan's new Marsh Bedding DVD to have along with Marsh Bucks. Though he said it would be very similar Marsh Bucks I don't find that to be the case. I've watched about 1 hr. of the new one and find it to be much more detailed.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:12 pm

Tcarlson wrote:That is some great success. I would recommend you buy Dan's new Marsh Bedding DVD to have along with Marsh Bucks. Though he said it would be very similar Marsh Bucks I don't find that to be the case. I've watched about 1 hr. of the new one and find it to be much more detailed.

Thanks Tcarl I didn't realize it was released yet. Time to hire up the dvd and have my mind blown again!!!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:27 pm

Sounds promising. Good luck!

When you mentioned having a scouting journal, that is the best thing you can do. In my PC I have spring scouting, summer scouting, stand locations, and a hunting journal. Like you said it's amazing what you can forget in a short time.

Even the things you remember get blurred. Write it down and all the details come back.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”