How would you guys hunt this?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vermonthunter16
500 Club

How would you guys hunt this?

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:27 pm

I have hunted this land for the past 7 years and we have pulled some nice bucks out but have never really searched for bedding areas and such, Im wondering if you guys and gals can give me some tips on how to hunt it, where there might be some bedding areas.

Some background information on this property, it is private property and is a mix of hardwoods and conifers. There is an oak Ridge where we usually pull the bucks off of and it shoots down on the east side of the ridge to a draw that goes for quite a while, it is thick down there and hard to get into quietly but there are often deer down there, its thick and offers great cover. The oak ridge is the area that is at 700Ft plus in the Topo.

Here is a regular aerial image. Keep in mind this parcel is only about 40 acres, we also have some bigger land just across the road that is Public land but I haven't ever put boots on ground in there, it is extremely thick and without a GPS I would be lost in no time, time to get a gps i think!

Now here is a Topo overlay of the same exact area, This is mainly hill country but down near the road there is some swamp area.

I hope the pictures show up, I have never posted pictures but I am going to give it a shot! :D
Last edited by vermonthunter16 on Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Rick
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Re: How would you guys hunt this?

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:28 pm

Ok the pictures did not post, can anbody give me a hand?
-Rick
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:39 am

Ok let me try this again with photobucket :lol:

Topo map is more accurate on the boundaries that I have on this piece of land. Also I could upload the public land topo and non topo if yall would like that and let me know which land you personally would think is better to hold bucks.

-Rick
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:55 pm

I would expect the best buck bedding on the property to be along the 700 feet elevation line. Bucks would tend to like to bed on the Lee side. The North point looks like a good area.
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:36 pm

Ok thanks Dan, Thats what I kinda suspected because thats the oak ridge right there and we pull bucks off of that area pretty much every year, right on that northern point there is a good view a long ways towards the stream as there is a cut right there and also a good view across the draw. It makes sence I just kinda needed to corfirm where on that oak ridge they would most likely bed, Thanks :D
-Rick

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”