Important Fact About Acreage vs. Topography

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: Important Fact About Acreage vs. Topography

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:47 am

SEMObowhunter wrote:I graduated from College with a degree in Surveying and worked in the field for five years before starving out. Land is measured, bought, sold, etc. by the horizontal distance. This does not include elevation calculations. Basically you are looking at a flat plane with an elevation of zero. Land can be surveyed with elevation (vertical distance) but this is only used for topography. On a boundary survey you measure with X,Y coordinates, whether GPS or made up and these are just northing and easting coordinates. Elevation is measured with X,Y,Z coordinates. This gives you the northing, easting, and elevation on any shot taken. The topo maps we all use are generated from an airplane flying at a certain altitude, certain speed, and using a lens with a set magnification. They fly over the area taking pictures that overlap, these are then overlaid onto a map of the area, where known elevations with GPS coordinates have been located.

I did some aerial topo support for aircraft on a 300 square mile stretch along the Missouri River in central and western MO for the Omaha District of the Corps of Engineers. We had a grid of the whole area laid off in 3 mile by 3 mile grid and we located certain points on the ground, then the plane flew the whole area and they compared their data to ours. This was for an update to some top maps of the River levees and the surrounding area.

The construction company I worked for in Montana had the up keep and remodel contract for the federal buildings for awhile. While doing a little job in the Forest Service Cartography quarters. I got to see these dual aerial photos. For just basic overveiws they had this binocular magnifying glass thing. When you looked at the photos through these things looked 3D. Of course for map making they had a special camera set up with a special computer program.

Totally fastinating though. Same program as was being used for smart bombs.
o

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:57 am

stash59 wrote:
SEMObowhunter wrote:I graduated from College with a degree in Surveying and worked in the field for five years before starving out. Land is measured, bought, sold, etc. by the horizontal distance. This does not include elevation calculations. Basically you are looking at a flat plane with an elevation of zero. Land can be surveyed with elevation (vertical distance) but this is only used for topography. On a boundary survey you measure with X,Y coordinates, whether GPS or made up and these are just northing and easting coordinates. Elevation is measured with X,Y,Z coordinates. This gives you the northing, easting, and elevation on any shot taken. The topo maps we all use are generated from an airplane flying at a certain altitude, certain speed, and using a lens with a set magnification. They fly over the area taking pictures that overlap, these are then overlaid onto a map of the area, where known elevations with GPS coordinates have been located.

I did some aerial topo support for aircraft on a 300 square mile stretch along the Missouri River in central and western MO for the Omaha District of the Corps of Engineers. We had a grid of the whole area laid off in 3 mile by 3 mile grid and we located certain points on the ground, then the plane flew the whole area and they compared their data to ours. This was for an update to some top maps of the River levees and the surrounding area.

The construction company I worked for in Montana had the up keep and remodel contract for the federal buildings for awhile. While doing a little job in the Forest Service Cartography quarters. I got to see these dual aerial photos. For just basic overveiws they had this binocular magnifying glass thing. When you looked at the photos through these things looked 3D. Of course for map making they had a special camera set up with a special computer program.

Totally fastinating though. Same program as was being used for smart bombs.
o

What is a stereoscope

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:10 am

Very cool fact something I have never even thought about thank you for sharing!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:30 pm

Zona wrote:Well, I learned something new today.

That makes two of us as I had no idea of that.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:32 pm

Interesting. Years ago I thought it was that way, but when I checked into some land in the northern lower peninsula it was listed by surface area instead (3D) so the land seemed smaller than a flat piece of the same acreage. Either things have changed or the realtors were scamming people.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:27 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:Interesting. Years ago I thought it was that way, but when I checked into some land in the northern lower peninsula it was listed by surface area instead (3D) so the land seemed smaller than a flat piece of the same acreage. Either things have changed or the realtors were scamming people.

Hmmmm.... I can't imagine a realtor ever being deceitful...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”