Ridding a Tree of Poison Ivy

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sunset samurai

Ridding a Tree of Poison Ivy

Unread postby sunset samurai » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:38 am

Ok, my brother and I scouted last weekend rather intensively. To keep it short, one spot Im really excited about and found what I consider to be the perfect tree (how true that is, is yet to be determined.) However it has 8 or so poison vines going up it that I dont want to be hugging trying to climb. I cut the vines at the bottom hoping they will die and can be pulled from the tree in a month or two. Has anyone had any experience doing this, I would like to do something now so its ready to climb in the fall. I assume pesticides on public land are off limits. Are there any better methods of getting it off the tree? It is not bushed out around the tree yet the vines are still thumb size or smaller. Thanks guys

[ Post made via Android ] Image

superseal

Re: Ridding a Tree of Poison Ivy

Unread postby superseal » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:53 am

I do exactly what you're doing and maybe some weed killer.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:59 am

The best way to keep from getting poison ivy rash is with a good soap and friction. I would take a bucket, water, dish soap, a rag, and a change of clothes (at least a new shirt) in with me. Climb the tree, cutting everything down above where you will set up, then wash up afterward. Paying careful attention to rubbing with the rag on every square inch of your skin.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:19 am

You will probably still get a rash, I'm so sensitive to it that I stay away if possible, but at the minimum wear long sleeves and gloves then immediately wash off and switch clothes, the oil will stick on them and on anything you touch. It's it's very important to use soap and water to wash off as soon as possible to avoid the rash...

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:12 am

Use a a loppers instead of a saw. That saw dust is mean stuff.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:33 am

Technu is a special soap that neutralize s the oil. Since buying it, I have only tried it out once.
I give poison ivy much respect and a few curse words too.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:46 am

sunset samurai wrote: I cut the vines at the bottom hoping they will die and can be pulled from the tree in a month or two. Has anyone had any experience doing this, I would like to do something now so its ready to climb in the fall. I assume pesticides on public land are off limits. Are there any better methods of getting it off the tree? It is not bushed out around the tree yet the vines are still thumb size or smaller.

I( don't have a problem with it anymore for some reason. But I don't push it either. I have done the same as you, but I normally pull it off as soon as I cut the vine. Use some gloves, then throw them away. But as you asked, in a few weeks the vines should start to loosen and pull off rather easily. Beware the dust.... I normally cut the vines with hand pruners and then use them as pliers and pull off what I need to. Even dead, those vines will get you if you're very alergic to it.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:15 am

Thanks for the suggestions, just noticed I wrote pesticides, meant herbacide hahaa

rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:05 pm

You're a lot braver than me. I would probably catch poison ivy just from standing by it. :doh:
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:24 pm

The tree will still have the oils on it for some time to come. I don't know how long but I got it a year after cutting a vine down from a tree. I got it on my face when my head touched the tree while climbing in the stand. If it's in the other side of the tree away from where you are sitting or climbing you may be okay. Be sure wash off the stand strands. Have to really be the perfect tree for me to do it.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:11 pm

This is a problem in the refuge I hunt. Since it's so wet and swampy its on literally every tree. I wish I could find a solution for this. If you cut the vine and leave it, it will still have oil in it.

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:56 pm

I've cut poison ivy vines at the bases. It will be all dried up by hunting season. I try to have small instances of exposure throughout the summer, it keeps me from having an outbreak.

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:40 am

I would go back in a month or so with a pair of pliers and pull the vines off. They will be dead by then. I would also check the tree for new growth about august, another cutting and pulling then if there is any new growth should get you safely in to the hunting season.
superseal

Unread postby superseal » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:11 am

SEMObowhunter wrote:I would go back in a month or so with a pair of pliers and pull the vines off. They will be dead by then. I would also check the tree for new growth about august, another cutting and pulling then if there is any new growth should get you safely in to the hunting season.

This has worked very well for me in the past. You can pull the vines loose 20+ feet up the tree. climb up and cut them again. I always do this in the winter.
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:18 am

^^ This is what Im thinkin should be best method. Ill prolly get a pair of Dollar store pliers n throw em away after. Ill be back there around the end of Feb to pull cam, Ill clean it up then. Thanks

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”