Picking the right tree

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: Picking the right tree

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:45 am

I agree, is a great post by WA, I also agree it has a lot to do with boots on the ground scouting and observation....from experience though, at least where I hunt, and just speaking for myself, one of my shortcomings I have identified is picking the right spot, the right tree the first time. There is a knack to that...sometimes I am on it and sometimes not. most of the time, not, actually....to me, on small properties especially it is critical to get it right the first time or you end up as dan said, over hunting or even over scouting, trying to figure out where to be.
I think some of you guys could walk into the woods I hunt and say within a day's scouting or darn near it, "you need to be right here for this wind or right there for that wind". Whereas it could take me 2 seasons to figure that out....this is what frustrates me.
I'd like to add, I have knocked down a few good bucks in my time but I attribute this more to hunting good property at the time than being a great hunter. I also have at times, set up just the right way to kill...it's the inconsistency of it that I'm trying to overcome.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Last edited by mheichelbech on Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
whitetailassasin

Re: Picking the right tree

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:47 am

mheichelbech wrote:I agree, is a great post by WA, I also agree it has a lot to do with boots on the ground scouting and observation....from experience though, at least where I hunt, and just speaking for myself, one of my shortcomings I have identified is picking the right spot, the right tree the first time. There is a knack to that...sometimes I am on it and sometimes not. most of the time, not, actually....to me, on small properties especially it is critical to get it right the first time or you end up as dan said, over hunting or even over scouting, trying to figure out where to be.
I think some of you guys could walk into the woods I hunt and say within a day's scouting or darn near it, "you need to be right here for this wind or right there for that wind". Whereas it could take me 2 seasons to figure that out....this is what frustrates me.

I get frustrated as well. But that part of the process. Time in the woods and also learning how then applying that to the woods will come. Keep at it. It takes time and that's the most frustrating thing to me is the leaning curve. We all have and do go through it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”