Scouting workshop Saturday February 6th

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jackson Marsh

Re: Scouting workshop Saturday February 6th

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:06 am

8-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

YoungBuck

Unread postby YoungBuck » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:15 am

The workshop was awesome! It's one thing to see and hear it on a DVD, or read it online, but actually being in the woods with Dan and seeing how he finds beds, what winds he hunts them on, and how he picks his kill tree is amazing. I feel like it increased the learning curve ten- fold.

Another take away is just how hard Dan works to get on these bucks.

Thanks for hosting Dan, and anyone who is thinking of doing a workshop should stop thinking and sign up!
Eddy12

Unread postby Eddy12 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:45 pm

I participated in the workshop and I am sure glad I did. It opened my eyes to alot of minor details that I have been missing. It's hard to explain what you really get out of it though without experiencing it. If you are considering going, do it! You won't regret it.

The one thing I took away from it though that I can explain is, killing big bucks takes hard work and discipline. Dan's commitment is on another level from the majority of hunters. To me, his hard work and discipline are what make him so successful. I may be wrong on that but that's what I gathered from it. There is obviously more that goes into it but those are the foundation for it all. To me, that's encouraging.

For anyone that did the workshop, I advise going back and reading Dan's hunting journal from 2014. I picked up a few things from it that I hadn't before.

62kodiak
500 Club

Unread postby 62kodiak » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:04 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with the other members. The workshop was awesome. It was great meeting some of the other members and the big buck serial killer. I would like to thank Jeff and Mario for attending too. They were an indispensable bridge between us normal humans and Dan.

I am not sure I really learned any new principles at the workshop, but I can say that I certainly have a much greater understanding of the details. I am pretty sure that is the idea though. Dan doesn't introduce anything that hasn't been covered a million time on this forum, he just shows real life examples of the principles, driving home the information. I was truly amazed by how close he sets up on these deer. We all hear the numbers on here, but when you get to see his actual setups you can't believe he can get that close. A few of us even commented on that very subject, saying that if it were anybody other than Dan you would just assume that they were a flat out liar. Looks like I am going to spend a lot of time practicing my sneaking this summer and then a lot of time this fall cursing Dan out as I am watching flags bounce away. He stressed it pretty hard throughout the entire workshop that if you don't bump deer from time to time you are not getting close enough. As long as I keep that principle in the back of my mind it will be a lot easier to watch those deer flee though. If I am bumping them I was at least in the right place, just 10 feet too close. :doh:

I went home and watched the new marsh video right afterwards and it made so much sense. I guess that is the point though. What I took from the workshop more than anything was that the principles of marsh hunting are so simple and monkey could get it. The other 95% of it is back breaking, stinking like muck, getting muddy and wet, getting lost, year round hard work. Classic 5% preparation, 95% perspiration situation.

I would like to extend a big thank you to Dan for putting the whole thing on. I would also like to thank Jeff and Mario again for their contributions. I am not sure if he is on here or not, but I would also like to thank Dave for allowing us knuckleheads to stomp around his farm. The final thank you goes to Carol for all her contributions.
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
tpetrbok84

Unread postby tpetrbok84 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:18 pm

Awesome pics! I'm really bummed I couldn't make it. I'm glad the weather worked out for you guys. Hopefully I can make one of these soon!

Tim

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:41 am

There is another one planned for march 12th here is a link:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34638

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”