Question about handheld GPS

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jmaas07
500 Club

Re: Question about handheld GPS

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:44 pm

Can anyone compare the garmin Birdseye satalite images to the self created google earth overlays?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

mihunter101

Unread postby mihunter101 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:18 pm

The Birdseye images are a lot easier than creating your own. The level of detail will depend on the are. My only real complaint is that the downloads are really slow. Can't help but think that it's intentional to keep you from downloading too much.
Let's go Brandon!
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:29 pm

mihunter101 wrote:The Birdseye images are a lot easier than creating your own. The level of detail will depend on the are. My only real complaint is that the downloads are really slow. Can't help but think that it's intentional to keep you from downloading too much.

When you say really slow could you give a time estimate for downloading an area that's about square mile

mihunter101

Unread postby mihunter101 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:41 am

1 sq mile is a pretty samll download (~2 MB). It will take less than a minute. Downloads are limited to something around 220 MB which is nearly 100 sq miles, but it takes nearly 20 minutes to download.
Let's go Brandon!
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:07 am

I use the trimble gps hunt app on my smart phone. You can open it up when you have cell service or wifi and pan around in a 3 square mile area and it will save the map that way you don't need cell service to view the map. When I get to my area I turn on my location on my phone and the gps function works without having cell signal. It will show me exactly where I'm at, let me store waypoints, and take me to a way point without having cell service. I love the app and I always have my phone with me so it's a win win. Better yet it's Free! you can upgrade to a paid subscription and get more functions but I haven't found any need for it yet.
Bubbles

Unread postby Bubbles » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:16 am

I use Alpine Quest for android. I can switch between bing sattelite and Google, USGA topos,etc. Pretty much any map I want it's super easy to overlay, change maps, etc. All for 10$, the cost of the app. Some areas I prefer the Google image and some I prefer the bing image. They both vary in quality and time of year sometimes so it can help to be able to check out both.

Its so easy to use my cell gps I barely touch my etrex 20.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:27 pm

I bought the Birdseye images from garmin and the first download worked well, the 2nd download would not copy to my gps, it said too many images on the device, exceeded 100. There is only one Birdseye image shown in my collection and then there are tons of individual images correlating with the area I downloaded. Is there any way around this? I would think for $30 I could download and copy more than 1 aerial that's roughly a couple square miles, thinking operator error here. Any advice?

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”