Be prepared!

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sunset samurai

Be prepared!

Unread postby sunset samurai » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:04 pm

Deer season ended here yesterday, so naturally scouting started today. 2 hrs from home and a long way into the bear sanctuary I run over a piece metal puncturing my right rear tire. No problem I have a spare, however my jack was nowhere to be found, I used it on my other truck recently and left it in there, nooooo! Thank God I was on a ridge and had a bar of service, my brother drove the 2 hrs to bring me a jack, I am eternally indebted. Moral of the story, it takes no time to make sure those crucial items are in your vehicles. This could have been alot worse had I not had that bar service as I was deep in there n would have no doubt had a hike ahead of me. ALWAYS BE PREPARED!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Be prepared!

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:16 pm

Good advice.

My 2 cents...keep a bottle of water and a candy bar with your vehicle during scouting /hunting season.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:23 pm

When I lived in Montana I always had enough provision in the truck to spend a couple nights if needed... A couple times they were.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:51 pm

Provisions are like money, you can never have too many.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:52 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:Good advice.

My 2 cents...keep a bottle of water and a candy bar with your vehicle during scouting /hunting season.

how bout a can of beer and bag of chips or jerky? :L: :lol:
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:09 pm

yep The swamps down here can be pretty nasty. Can't tell you how many phone calls I have gotten at 2 am to go pull somebody's buddy out that got stuck leaving Richloam WMA at dark and they had to walk to get cell service. What is really bad is when they really don't know where their vehicle is. Actually had a buddy that runs a local offroad shop call me one day because he had sold a guy a jeep and the guy heard there was some fun trails to run. Yep he got stuck then walked several miles back to main road and called Dean. Dean calls me so I call up a couple of buddy's and we head out to find him on the side of the main road. bad thing was he had gotten turned around and couldn't remember where his Jeep was. After a half hour of asking him what he had seen on his walk out I figured out where it was.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:19 am

I always worry about things like this when I hunt in remote northern Minnesota. cell phones don't work up there. I drive for miles down logging roads no one goes down for months. I started taking a group now, and we keep tract of where we go so if someone don't come back to camp we can find them.
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:36 am

Iv worried more about it in the National Forest as that one bar of service is non existant in there, just thankful I learned a lesson without too much heartache, if my brother wiuldnt have answered Id been in a mess it would have been near impossible to explain to anyone else where I was.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:44 am

Tufrthnails wrote:yep The swamps down here can be pretty nasty. Can't tell you how many phone calls I have gotten at 2 am to go pull somebody's buddy out that got stuck leaving [glow=red]Richloam WMA[/glow] at dark and they had to walk to get cell service. What is really bad is when they really don't know where their vehicle is. Actually had a buddy that runs a local offroad shop call me one day because he had sold a guy a jeep and the guy heard there was some fun trails to run. Yep he got stuck then walked several miles back to main road and called Dean. Dean calls me so I call up a couple of buddy's and we head out to find him on the side of the main road. bad thing was he had gotten turned around and couldn't remember where his Jeep was. After a half hour of asking him what he had seen on his walk out I figured out where it was.

:lol:

One of the few places I have ever gotten stuck in by myself years ago. Darn sugar sand got the ol' 2wd. Thankfully a kind local hunter yanked me out before long, lucky I got stuck in the am not the pm!
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:48 am

Iv sunk in the swamps of Eastern NC once, it was AM so I hunted anyway, at lunch I got out to the road and it didnt take long to find a young fella with a jacked up truck that was just itchin to pull me out lol

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:57 am

Locked my keys in my car close to an hr from home this year. I now have a spare key wired underneath my truck, work beater, and the wife's car.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:15 pm

Richoam WMA in Florida is one nasty place. I got stuck in there years ago and never went back.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:23 pm

I always carry emergency equipment in the truck. A box takes up little room in the bed.

I typically have:
Blanket
Tarp
Tow cable
Folding shovel
Jack board
Work gloves
25' of rope
Tool kit
Road triangles

It all fits in a plastic box and stays there year round.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”