how many times do I have to learn this lesson? Find the food

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ihookem
500 Club

how many times do I have to learn this lesson? Find the food

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:40 am

Yesterday I went quite a ways back on some public land and only saw a few deer tracks in he 3/4 mi. walk. I was very disappointed , even saying, " there is noting here," They are all shot off" " they all got scared on to private land. After I left I went down the road and noticed a truck with the emergency lights on. SO, I give them a jump and tell them in order to get to Milwaukee ya can't have lights, heater ECT. Off they went. I decided to go down a turn around and noticed a field and said" :
"" """ HHHOOOLLLLY COW. ! Are those a lll deer tracks? No way, some kids were playing with their dogs or something. After a closer look, sure enough, those are all deer tracks. Today I go back on the public land and can't believe my eyes. I will give it a try tonight and will be tickled just to see a deer. Tomorrow I might try it again. The field goes a long ways down the hill and if a deer is standing in the field ya can't see them form the road. Perfect spot. Private land leased to the public. Lotsa rabbit tracks too.ImageImage

Ghost Hunter

Re: how many times do I have to learn this lesson? Find the

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:14 am

Nice any luck?
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:17 pm

Nah, the wind switched to the south and would screw everything up so I didn't go. As much as I wanted to go, I knew they would smell me. My scent would have went right into the bedding area. Tomorrow is a NW wind though. I will miss the Packer game though.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:56 pm

Smart move.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:53 pm

I gave it one last whirl. I should shave been out there the last few weeks but could not figure out where the deer were. I drove real slow and walked in quiet. I knew a better way was to walk along the highway but didn't want anyone to see me. So, I walked along the hedge grove along the field where the deer were gorging. Sure enough, I kicked up a deer sitting in the hedge rove. It took off right passed where I was going to sit . I imagine , when a deer comes running through a bedding area , the deer know something is up. I am sure the spooked deer alerted all the others and caused them to hole up till dark. I have never seen a 5 ac. field of grass so full of tracks. I walk by my trail cam to find it is not flashing. I am going to get another trail cam cause I am sure I will see some bucks. There has to be 10 deer in that field every night. Oh well , it was a peaceful sit. Right at closing I had a screech owl surprise the SHiiit out of me , and it was nice hearing a big old hoot owl several times. Never drew the bow back or raise the gun this year.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:16 pm

I did my first scout of the year and went back to this place. I went in a few hundred yards and kicked up about 7 deer. They were all over. I found some of their tracks and followed them. I noticed they would run 100 yds or so and stop, and start backtracking towards me. No doubt making sure they knew where I was. These are veteran deer no doubt. I put my cam back out and will post pics in a week or so. I can say one thing, they are coming out into a grassy field. It has clumps of grass that is really green. These deer have the field just punted and full of tracks and droppings. About 10 yrs ago I saw a lot of tracks in the woods where I kicked up these 7 deer. Back then I never realized how much they are attracted to food this time of year. I will be looking for other areas like this on public land for late season bow hunting. I am already pumped and my son wants to bow hunt too next year.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:10 pm

Looking forward to seeing the pics 8-)
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:59 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:Looking forward to seeing the pics 8-)

x2
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:44 am

Only had a few does on the cam this week . They were coming through in the daytime. I kicked up 4 right next to the field. The sure stay close to the food this time of year. I dont think they were 100' from the HWY and only 50' from the field in a little patch of brush not so much as 1/10 ac.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:02 am

Interesting.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:05 am

I took two other walks on the same public land. I saw one deer track on one of the walks , and one other deer track on another walk. The deer are not in the marsh grass or the red dogwood. I was amazed how little deer sign there was away from this only food source. I would have thought they would be in the dogwood. There must be other food around, most likely private alfalfa fields somewhere.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”