onx maps

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

staincat

onx maps

Unread postby staincat » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:32 am

Has anybody used or currently using onxmaps?

I am trying to find a good system to use for MFL land and pubilc land, it says they have all this listed on there maps. I am just wondering if it is true or not and if they are accurate? It says they update it every year.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: onx maps

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:36 am

They are very accurate. Cheaper than plat books. I think it is $30 to update after the initial purchase which is less than one Plat book. I will add that the chips don't include all public land...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:39 am

I'm a big fan of onXhunt maps. For my Garmin GPS, I purchased the PA chip which shows all private landowner names for each parcel boundary in addition to public lands. Great tool if you want to ask permission, you can look at the topo features and amount of huntable ground to determine if its worth knocking on the door. The only piece of public I have run into that it did not highlight was an Army Corp lake that allows public hunting on its surrounding land...but the private landowner boundaries named "____ Lake Owners Group" matched up with an Army Corp of Engineers public use map I found online. So I knew to distinguish this parcel as public.

I also bought the Great Lakes chip for out of state hunts. Just off the top of my head these maps cover PA, OH, IN, MI, and WI. It does not show private land owner names, but public lands are highlighted in whatever color you want. This was very helpful for me when hunting out of state public land in Indiana and Ohio the past 2 years.

I have stood beside state game land boundary signs here in PA and the GPS maps are accurate within feet.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:29 am

I really like my Onxmaps card and found the public land boundaries to be very accurate everywhere in the state I have used it.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:45 am

I used to have it on my smartphone. For some reason they changed their server and it no longer worked. I tried to get a refund they would not give it to me. Just offered me a free year subscription. What good is that I still have the same phone. Other than that I liked it.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:33 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I used to have it on my smartphone. For some reason they changed their server and it no longer worked. I tried to get a refund they would not give it to me. Just offered me a free year subscription. What good is that I still have the same phone. Other than that I liked it.

So the mobile was originally not a subscription? Ive been using it for a couple years and it has always been a subscripion...well I had the mobile subscription a couple years ago but never renewed it. Many of the areas I hunt don't have cell service...or poor at best. It took me 20 minutes last November to upload a live from the stand pic. :lol:

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:37 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:I used to have it on my smartphone. For some reason they changed their server and it no longer worked. I tried to get a refund they would not give it to me. Just offered me a free year subscription. What good is that I still have the same phone. Other than that I liked it.

So the mobile was originally not a subscription? Ive been using it for a couple years and it has always been a subscripion...well I had the mobile subscription a couple years ago but never renewed it. Many of the areas I hunt don't have cell service...or poor at best. It took me 20 minutes last November to upload a live from the stand pic. :lol:

Yes it was s subscription. They wanted to give me a free year on top of what I had.

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:16 pm

Josh_S wrote:I'm a big fan of onXhunt maps. For my Garmin GPS, I purchased the PA chip which shows all private landowner names for each parcel boundary in addition to public lands. Great tool if you want to ask permission, you can look at the topo features and amount of huntable ground to determine if its worth knocking on the door. The only piece of public I have run into that it did not highlight was an Army Corp lake that allows public hunting on its surrounding land...but the private landowner boundaries named "____ Lake Owners Group" matched up with an Army Corp of Engineers public use map I found online. So I knew to distinguish this parcel as public.

I also bought the Great Lakes chip for out of state hunts. Just off the top of my head these maps cover PA, OH, IN, MI, and WI. It does not show private land owner names, but public lands are highlighted in whatever color you want. This was very helpful for me when hunting out of state public land in Indiana and Ohio the past 2 years.

I have stood beside state game land boundary signs here in PA and the GPS maps are accurate within feet.

how do you change the color? I have the alabama chip and I love it for boundaries showing public but the national forest land color sucks. Its like a green color with purple lines. I've told them and they said they were changing it but never did. Said something again and they didn't seem to care. Dark purple and green or black and green are terrible colors as they are not contrasting enough to read the topo lines. I end up using my phone for topo reading and gps for marking data and public lines.
staincat

Unread postby staincat » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:57 am

Thanks for the response guys. Very helpful! Looks like I will be using these this next year.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:37 am

It isn't available in the states I hunt (Massachusetts and Connecticut)

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:49 am

checkerfred wrote:
Josh_S wrote:I'm a big fan of onXhunt maps. For my Garmin GPS, I purchased the PA chip which shows all private landowner names for each parcel boundary in addition to public lands. Great tool if you want to ask permission, you can look at the topo features and amount of huntable ground to determine if its worth knocking on the door. The only piece of public I have run into that it did not highlight was an Army Corp lake that allows public hunting on its surrounding land...but the private landowner boundaries named "____ Lake Owners Group" matched up with an Army Corp of Engineers public use map I found online. So I knew to distinguish this parcel as public.

how do you change the color? I have the alabama chip and I love it for boundaries showing public but the national forest land color sucks. Its like a green color with purple lines. I've told them and they said they were changing it but never did. Said something again and they didn't seem to care. Dark purple and green or black and green are terrible colors as they are not contrasting enough to read the topo lines. I end up using my phone for topo reading and gps for marking data and public lines.

Sorry I was wrong about changing the public land color, I could have sworn I did. Anyhow I played around with my GPS, I can change color on other things, but not public land. It would be a nice feature to add. PA state game lands are pink and have easier to read topo lines vs the green state/national forest land.
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:28 am

I love it for all the reasons already stated. I consider it my best hunting investment in the last few years.

mihunter101

Unread postby mihunter101 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:36 pm

Which is better, chip or download? Is there room on the chip to store additional maps?
Let's go Brandon!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”