J-hook buck bed

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bbostrom

J-hook buck bed

Unread postby Bbostrom » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:51 am

I got out for a quick scout this morning before the snow arrives in central Wisconsin. The property is public it gets a fair amount of pressure mainly due to mature oak ridges, and to be honest I have wasted so many sits hunting with the masses in the open woods expecting to see a mature buck it makes me sad. So for the past few weeks I have been on Google earth and caltopo coming up with a scouting plan, I chose to focus on a river bottom on the south side of the property. From the computer I could see one large tree in the middle of what appears to be tall grass or cattails. I put a waypoint on my gps and I was really pleased when I got down in the river bottom and could see a decent sized track heading right towards the tree, the buck walks directly under the tree as part of his j-hook and then he walks another 15 yards directly down wind of his bed he then turns around watching his back trail wind blowing over his back.

It is the classic j-hook that all the veteran beasts talk about. It just amazes me how these bucks bed and how they access there beds. This buck has the wind over his back from the west, watching the highway to the east, with a river to the north and if he gets spooked he's headed south. I prepped a tree 50 yards from his bed I will have 15 yards of ground scent once I exit the river here is a view from the tree.

And a picture of the bed.

The buck has a really round front track not extremely wide

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: J-hook buck bed

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:41 am

Its amazing how they will walk past an only tree out in the open. I've seen it many times. Cool example of the j-hook.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:46 am

Nice find!

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:17 am

Cool...tell me about ur access...will u come in by canoe or kayak or is it shallow enough for waders? Looks like a good setup

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bbostrom

Unread postby Bbostrom » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:27 am

checkerfred wrote:Cool...tell me about ur access...will u come in by canoe or kayak or is it shallow enough for waders? Looks like a good setup

I wish this was private and that I could post a picture of the exact setup but I can risk it, so I will do my best at explaining my access but before I do, I listened to Stanley's podcast on river bottoms and small woodlots for the fourth time on Friday and it really got me pumped. I park my truck approx 3/4 of a mile north northwest away from the bucks bed. The river/creek is ten feet wide and three to four feet deep at its deepest point the buck beds in what appears to be a flood plain given the fact that under the tall grass it is a very sandy soil. I will enter the creek wearing hip boots and walk 50 yards to the first point in the which appears to be where he exits his staging area. Judging by the rubs and the brows that are chewed off I doubt that he crosses the creek in daylight in all I am estimating that he travels 60 yards in daylight. Judging by the arch in the snow the buck is using this bed in a west wind, if the wind is west or slightly out of the south west I will give this a try. I am also thinking about when I do sit this bed slowly walking down the river to check his morning entrance for tracks, the wind would be in my favor and i would not be see,n this buck has such a rounded track that he would be hard to mistake.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:48 am

Awesome post! I wish we had more just like this!

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Bbostrom

Unread postby Bbostrom » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:20 am

I have been scouting with the intentions of finding bedding and also documenting well enough to upload to the Beast. I believe that the documentation is making me better at scouting and will hopefully pay off this fall

chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:24 am

Great post! Thanks for sharing!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:22 pm

Good stuff !

IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:49 pm

I also found a "textbook" J-hook today. It looks very much like this one but is 12 yards from the kill tree, not right under it. It is very slowly uploading the video right now.

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”