Scouting with Dan...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CallMeFishmael

Re: Scouting with Dan...

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:02 am

whitetailassasin wrote:
DaHunter wrote:Dan - Are you familiar with any public land in MI? If so, it would be nice to round up a group of Michigan guys to split the cost of you coming here for a half day scouting workshop. I know I'd be in as well as a # of others.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Pm me we have something in the works.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I would be totally in on this.

Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:03 am

RidgeReaper wrote:
dan wrote:
jjm335 wrote:Dan, I would love to come to a class. Only issue is that I'm in PA so it is a long haul to WI. Maybe someone already asked...but any chance you do a class closer to the east coast?

Also, for the personal scouting, and idea what you would charge for a PA trip?

Im working on something for PA... I need to come up with a cost and see if there are enough people to cover it.

Glad this question got answered...I'm interested if it ever goes into action! I'm in Harrisburg area good hills around here if it's an easy area for everyone to commute to. Airport is only a few minutes up the road.

X2

DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:03 am

Zona wrote:
RidgeReaper wrote:
dan wrote:
jjm335 wrote:Dan, I would love to come to a class. Only issue is that I'm in PA so it is a long haul to WI. Maybe someone already asked...but any chance you do a class closer to the east coast?

Also, for the personal scouting, and idea what you would charge for a PA trip?

Im working on something for PA... I need to come up with a cost and see if there are enough people to cover it.

Glad this question got answered...I'm interested if it ever goes into action! I'm in Harrisburg area good hills around here if it's an easy area for everyone to commute to. Airport is only a few minutes up the road.

X2

I'd be in as well.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:02 am

Sorry guys, I haven't been on in awhile. But I had Dan come up and do some scouting for me. We kinda made a workshop out of it. He scouted my land and a couple guys pitched in to help with the cost but got to ask questions and see how Dan scouts a property. I'd highly recommed getting Dan to scout if you need help. He pointed out things that, I just never thought of, cause I was kind of set in my ways. It really helped to get another prospective. Especially from a guy like Dan, who can really dechipher how deer are useing a properpty.
semperfidelis

Unread postby semperfidelis » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:23 am

I had the opportunity to scout with Dan last year. I made the trip from Virginia to my home state of Indiana to join my brother and Dan. We spent all day scouting in the hills of Indiana.

The trip was well worth my time and the 600 mile round trip. Dan was able to apply all the information he provides on the Beast with specific conditions we found on the ground. To note I had no intention of hunting this property since I live in VA. From what I had seen in Dan's videos and read on the Beast I knew I could easily apply the lessons in IN to my specific hunting in VA.

Dan was very attentive to questions and very honest. During the first few hours it looked as if the deer density on the property was low. This did not discourage any of us and ultimately we found good sign and Dan talked the specifics of what specific beds provided and offered recommendations on where to setup and why.

For a guy that learns best hands on, this trip was excellent. It was a private tutoring session with a man whose understanding of deer behavior far surpasses my own. I would definitely recommend scouting with Dan.

Due to my profession I hadn't deer hunted in a decade before I picked up my bow again in 2013. I was fortunate enough to learn of Dan and this website right as I was getting back into deer hunting. The timing was perfect and it completely changed how I had hunted. Dan's method changed the way I hunt and I'm convinced I have a better understanding of the animal I'm hunting. In the 3 years that have followed I have seen more bucks in the woods than I have in my life. I see things in the woods now I would have never paid attention to before.

I actually love hunting new places that I've never been to. I often hunt mornings and after employing Dan's cyber scouting methods I find myself up a tree before the sun comes up never having been to this specific location before. As the sun rises I start seeing rub lines leading to/from bedding. Sometimes I kill/see the buck, other times I don't. Regardless of the outcome that specific day I know every time I set up, I have a good chance of success. That feeling is priceless!

Thanks Dan!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:26 am

semperfidelis wrote:I had the opportunity to scout with Dan last year. I made the trip from Virginia to my home state of Indiana to join my brother and Dan. We spent all day scouting in the hills of Indiana.

The trip was well worth my time and the 600 mile round trip. Dan was able to apply all the information he provides on the Beast with specific conditions we found on the ground. To note I had no intention of hunting this property since I live in VA. From what I had seen in Dan's videos and read on the Beast I knew I could easily apply the lessons in IN to my specific hunting in VA.

Dan was very attentive to questions and very honest. During the first few hours it looked as if the deer density on the property was low. This did not discourage any of us and ultimately we found good sign and Dan talked the specifics of what specific beds provided and offered recommendations on where to setup and why.

For a guy that learns best hands on, this trip was excellent. It was a private tutoring session with a man whose understanding of deer behavior far surpasses my own. I would definitely recommend scouting with Dan.

Due to my profession I hadn't deer hunted in a decade before I picked up my bow again in 2013. I was fortunate enough to learn of Dan and this website right as I was getting back into deer hunting. The timing was perfect and it completely changed how I had hunted. Dan's method changed the way I hunt and I'm convinced I have a better understanding of the animal I'm hunting. In the 3 years that have followed I have seen more bucks in the woods than I have in my life. I see things in the woods now I would have never paid attention to before.

I actually love hunting new places that I've never been to. I often hunt mornings and after employing Dan's cyber scouting methods I find myself up a tree before the sun comes up never having been to this specific location before. As the sun rises I start seeing rub lines leading to/from bedding. Sometimes I kill/see the buck, other times I don't. Regardless of the outcome that specific day I know every time I set up, I have a good chance of success. That feeling is priceless!

Thanks Dan!

GREAT INFO...
Dan is the Man - for sure!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Darion

Unread postby Darion » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:25 pm

I just hired Dan to come over Jan. 30th to a piece of public land I hunt here in N. Indiana. For me it was money well invested, my scout with Dan was great and I am looking forward to every day I step into the woods now.Besides the fact that we found beds and buck sign virtually everywhere that we went I took away a lot more than that..
I am not a seasoned deer hunter but I'm not a greenhorn either. I have hunted and grew up in the woods my whole life, but up until the last few years I was not as serious about it as I am now....
I faced personal challenges such as confidence in my choice of set ups, and believing in my gut instincts, ( which have been pretty close or right on the money) but I had doubts and did not follow through. I got out of the tree 10 or 15 minutes early, or I would not go in far enough.
I have always been kind of a lone wolf and never hunted with anyone else so I never have shared experiences or related to another real well. Being in the woods with Dan has shown me I am not the only one that has these challenges and Time and experiences equal success. And success breeds confidence.
I have scouted twice since then and both times have found multiple beds, travel corridors, and buck sign that I have not found before and it was all a matter of moving or looking another 20 yards into an area or turning a corner that I would not have before. Usually I find rubs on small 2 inch trees at knee height, now I suddenly am finding chest high rubs on fence post size trees or larger, very motivating to say the least.
Dan is a great guy to talk with and I felt honored to spend time in the woods with him, he took the time to answer my questions and shared his experiences in a way I could relate to. ( he also taught me that I should look into every hollow log or tree that I find because you never know when your going to find something to eat) lol
So anyways , thanks again Dan and I hope I get another opportunity to meet up with you again!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:18 am

Black Squirrel wrote:Sorry guys, I haven't been on in awhile. But I had Dan come up and do some scouting for me. We kinda made a workshop out of it. He scouted my land and a couple guys pitched in to help with the cost but got to ask questions and see how Dan scouts a property. I'd highly recommed getting Dan to scout if you need help. He pointed out things that, I just never thought of, cause I was kind of set in my ways. It really helped to get another prospective. Especially from a guy like Dan, who can really dechipher how deer are useing a properpty.

Thanks Dan, appreciate the kind words 8-)
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:23 am

semperfidelis wrote:I had the opportunity to scout with Dan last year. I made the trip from Virginia to my home state of Indiana to join my brother and Dan. We spent all day scouting in the hills of Indiana.

Thanks Dan!

This was a fun trip, it felt good when we finally got into the bucks and found there hideouts. Thanks for the kind words, and for your service to this country. 8-)
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:25 am

Darion wrote:I just hired Dan to come over Jan. 30th to a piece of public land I hunt here in N. Indiana. For me it was money well invested, my scout with Dan was great and I am looking forward to every day I step into the woods now.Besides the fact that we found beds and buck sign virtually everywhere that we went I took away a lot more than that..
I am not a seasoned deer hunter but I'm not a greenhorn either. I have hunted and grew up in the woods my whole life, but up until the last few years I was not as serious about it as I am now....
I faced personal challenges such as confidence in my choice of set ups, and believing in my gut instincts, ( which have been pretty close or right on the money) but I had doubts and did not follow through. I got out of the tree 10 or 15 minutes early, or I would not go in far enough.
I have always been kind of a lone wolf and never hunted with anyone else so I never have shared experiences or related to another real well. Being in the woods with Dan has shown me I am not the only one that has these challenges and Time and experiences equal success. And success breeds confidence.
I have scouted twice since then and both times have found multiple beds, travel corridors, and buck sign that I have not found before and it was all a matter of moving or looking another 20 yards into an area or turning a corner that I would not have before. Usually I find rubs on small 2 inch trees at knee height, now I suddenly am finding chest high rubs on fence post size trees or larger, very motivating to say the least.
Dan is a great guy to talk with and I felt honored to spend time in the woods with him, he took the time to answer my questions and shared his experiences in a way I could relate to. ( he also taught me that I should look into every hollow log or tree that I find because you never know when your going to find something to eat) lol
So anyways , thanks again Dan and I hope I get another opportunity to meet up with you again!

I am willing to bet you never look at a cattail marsh the same again ;) Good times! Hope we cross paths again someday. 8-)
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:24 am

Its been a very busy spring... I have been scouting hard for people all winter/spring. I scouted the last property on my list last weekend. People always back off around turkey season / green-up. Being that I have a lot more free time this year, and that I can use the money, I decided to offer 1/2 price scouting for late spring / summer. $200 a day instead of $400... That would start now thru hunting season, and can be customized for what ever you want. Could be to scout land for best spots, or to help with a plan for a certain buck, or help you look at bettering your personal property. Basically, you decide...

Also, the map scouting I have done in the past has been more of a flop... Its a lot of work without much return. I have a better idea, thinking instead of doing a $100 map marking up, detailed map study, how about for $25 donation to the Beast I get on-line with you at the same time and we discuss your property over the phone, pick spots, talk about issues, etc. Then you go out scouting, call me back, and we discuss what you found?

If someone is having money issues I would still help when I can for free (as always)... Just trying to find ways to make more money at this rather than getting a second job. I will change up the scouting advertisement descriptions after the new site goes up.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:32 am

Dan, that is beyond generous. I'll PM you later for details on phone call idea.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:19 pm

dan wrote:Its been a very busy spring... I have been scouting hard for people all winter/spring. I scouted the last property on my list last weekend. People always back off around turkey season / green-up. Being that I have a lot more free time this year, and that I can use the money, I decided to offer 1/2 price scouting for late spring / summer. $200 a day instead of $400... That would start now thru hunting season, and can be customized for what ever you want. Could be to scout land for best spots, or to help with a plan for a certain buck, or help you look at bettering your personal property. Basically, you decide...

Also, the map scouting I have done in the past has been more of a flop... Its a lot of work without much return. I have a better idea, thinking instead of doing a $100 map marking up, detailed map study, how about for $25 donation to the Beast I get on-line with you at the same time and we discuss your property over the phone, pick spots, talk about issues, etc. Then you go out scouting, call me back, and we discuss what you found?

If someone is having money issues I would still help when I can for free (as always)... Just trying to find ways to make more money at this rather than getting a second job. I will change up the scouting advertisement descriptions after the new site goes up.

That's awesome Dan. Would say that's bargain pricing as well.

What are your travel rates and limits?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:28 pm

That's awesome Dan. Would say that's bargain pricing as well.

What are your travel rates and limits?

I usually determine that by a case by case... For example if your wanting me in New york, you would need to cover flight costs, a motel, and a day for travel... Still a couple hundred bucks less than before green-up. But it adds up on long destinations...

If a person is within driving distance it usually stays pretty cheap.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:25 am

BUMP

Its that time of year if anybody wants me to come out and look at a property 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”