Scouting with Dan...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

checkerfred
500 Club

Re: Scouting with Dan...

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:30 am

dan wrote:I want to make sure Im explaining this so everyone understands.. There is a big difference between my scouting workshops, and what I usually do on a travel scout trip...

On a workshop, we get real in depth about tactics... The one I do at my house we go to a farm I hunt and discuss where and how bucks bed there, we look at my exact stand positions, there height, placement, access, look at the buck beds, talk about the history, about when the stands payed off, , what I could do better if it where my farm, and everything else. Then we go to a public area where I have had success and do the same thing. We usually have a dozen plus guys who all as great questions, and just about everything gets covered on those two properties...

On the typical scouting trip a guy asks me to scout his property, or public property, find the bucks, and develop a plan... It does not get nearly as in depth as the workshop by my home, mainly cause its focused on me finding sign in a new area, and working with what we find... Its usually great for the guy hunting that spot, but you get more out of my workshop in my opinion if your looking more for advancing as a hunter...

Last year I did a work shop in Kentucky and it was really tough... Thanks in huge part to Southern man, it went over great, but it was really hard finding a primary buck bed that was obvious enough to show as an example... I spent an entire day searching and found 1... That could of ended up a bad trip, but it worked out...

When I scout on travel to a new place, I always go over maps of the property 1st, and decide if I want to say yes... Its more about "scoutability" than it is about big bucks... Some terrains are just endless thick and flat with no real edge and that makes them very difficult, and I would not feel good about traveling somewhere getting paid to tell them I can't help them and wouldn't hunt there myself...

This post is not to discourage anyone, but more to help you understand what we are getting into...

I'd love to take your workshop at your place. However I don't hunt farm land. The hills I hunt I'm sure are different than yours and more like what's in Kentucky. You mentioned it was tough and hard to find a primary buck bed obvious enough to show as an example. So how would I take what you show from your area an apply it to mine? I don't mean this is a smart way so please don't take it as that. It's just that it's been hard for me to find the beds. Especially like you and others have shown where they're very noticeable. If it's that tough to see I'm just not sure how to translate that to my area.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:24 am

Public pressured land that has mature bucks even if not prime land should still be able to produce results? Right? I don't want you to come to Michigan if you feel it's a waste of your time, because it sounds like you feel it is, or if you have doubts. I know big bucks are here! I don't need that kind of conformation. It's the knowledge you have that I feel should work anyplace that's public on the best bucks it has to offer. Maybe I'm taking what your saying wrong. But if people are willing to pay you/travel/and a place to stay to scout lands they are used to hunt and show them how re best bucks in that area bed and what to look for etc, should that ever be a waste of your time? I understand if no deer whatsoever or low density numbers are there. Most of these guys are looking for the info and see what they can pick up from a legend public pressure land hunter of your caliber. And see how you'd hunt there type of lands not just the prime lands. You target mature bucks and so will they but they are trying to learn how to take the best bucks there area has to offer. I think how it comes off, is that your unsure. I can't speak for others but I'm not expecting you to come to a new place and find the biggest bucks around, but I think you know enough that can change some of these guys hunting worlds and that's worth the coin to me. People can't expect a miracle worker. We all know how good your are at killing and reading deer sign. When money is involved all anyone can expect is your best and we know your ethics/morals I think you'll do great wherever and your woodsman ship is what I'm looking forward to witnessing firsthand.

Hoss606

Unread postby Hoss606 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:41 am

checkerfred wrote:Any Alabama guys wanna do this?? I'd love to get Dan in the Alabama hills!

Yes

Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:34 pm

Dan, will you be doing any of your regular scouting workshops in WI this spring?
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:08 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:Public pressured land that has mature bucks even if not prime land should still be able to produce results? Right? I don't want you to come to Michigan if you feel it's a waste of your time, because it sounds like you feel it is, or if you have doubts. I know big bucks are here! I don't need that kind of conformation. It's the knowledge you have that I feel should work anyplace that's public on the best bucks it has to offer. Maybe I'm taking what your saying wrong. But if people are willing to pay you/travel/and a place to stay to scout lands they are used to hunt and show them how re best bucks in that area bed and what to look for etc, should that ever be a waste of your time? I understand if no deer whatsoever or low density numbers are there. Most of these guys are looking for the info and see what they can pick up from a legend public pressure land hunter of your caliber. And see how you'd hunt there type of lands not just the prime lands. You target mature bucks and so will they but they are trying to learn how to take the best bucks there area has to offer. I think how it comes off, is that your unsure. I can't speak for others but I'm not expecting you to come to a new place and find the biggest bucks around, but I think you know enough that can change some of these guys hunting worlds and that's worth the coin to me. People can't expect a miracle worker. We all know how good your are at killing and reading deer sign. When money is involved all anyone can expect is your best and we know your ethics/morals I think you'll do great wherever and your woodsman ship is what I'm looking forward to witnessing firsthand.

Could not agree more with your statement.

I guess I am also a little confused since on your DVD's and seen here on the forum (by many people) before, if once a thousand times, "the information here can be used on any terrain and anywhere in the country".

Now the caliber of deer is definitely going to change but most folks here realize that are just seeking the way to find the biggest bucks in their area.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:43 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:Public pressured land that has mature bucks even if not prime land should still be able to produce results? Right? I don't want you to come to Michigan if you feel it's a waste of your time, because it sounds like you feel it is, or if you have doubts. I know big bucks are here! I don't need that kind of conformation. It's the knowledge you have that I feel should work anyplace that's public on the best bucks it has to offer. Maybe I'm taking what your saying wrong. But if people are willing to pay you/travel/and a place to stay to scout lands they are used to hunt and show them how re best bucks in that area bed and what to look for etc, should that ever be a waste of your time? I understand if no deer whatsoever or low density numbers are there. Most of these guys are looking for the info and see what they can pick up from a legend public pressure land hunter of your caliber. And see how you'd hunt there type of lands not just the prime lands. You target mature bucks and so will they but they are trying to learn how to take the best bucks there area has to offer. I think how it comes off, is that your unsure. I can't speak for others but I'm not expecting you to come to a new place and find the biggest bucks around, but I think you know enough that can change some of these guys hunting worlds and that's worth the coin to me. People can't expect a miracle worker. We all know how good your are at killing and reading deer sign. When money is involved all anyone can expect is your best and we know your ethics/morals I think you'll do great wherever and your woodsman ship is what I'm looking forward to witnessing firsthand.

I think your misunderstanding my post... I just want to make sure anyone who hires me knows what they are getting... I here some people saying they want to see how I tackle a property they are familiar with... That's great, but, I do think a whole lot more gets covered on my home ground cause it covers a little about every subject. Not trying to talk you out of anything. I will look at the property map with you on the phone, and make sure its doable, like I do every property I travel to... If there is big bucks there I will find them, if I have enough time. Usually I can tell that by looking over a map, and talking about where we will scout in advance.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:47 pm

exojam wrote:

Could not agree more with your statement.

I guess I am also a little confused since on your DVD's and seen here on the forum (by many people) before, if once a thousand times, "the information here can be used on any terrain and anywhere in the country".

Now the caliber of deer is definitely going to change but most folks here realize that are just seeking the way to find the biggest bucks in their area.

The caliber of deer has nothing to do with it... My post is about making sure your getting the most out of your money. Just an explanation so you can see the difference between scouting a piece of property, and getting in depth about scouting... Some people will benefit more from me traveling to a property, some will get more out of coming to me... The post was to help those people decide which is better for them personally.
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:37 am

Really thinking about coming out to Wisconsin for a scouting workshop this year. Any specific dates in mind Dan?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:10 am

Mibowfreak wrote:Really thinking about coming out to Wisconsin for a scouting workshop this year. Any specific dates in mind Dan?

I would like to do one local one soon... I need to look at the projected forcast
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:28 am

Mibowfreak wrote:Really thinking about coming out to Wisconsin for a scouting workshop this year. Any specific dates in mind Dan?

If Dan does put one on there I may be interested in car pooling with you and attending to see the difference between his workshops.

EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:46 am

Can't wait for the scouting workshop in WI! Super pumped!

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:37 am

dan wrote:

I would like to do one local one soon... I need to look at the projected forcast

Will keep an eye out for updates. Thanks.

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:55 am

checkerfred wrote:
I'd love to take your workshop at your place. However I don't hunt farm land. The hills I hunt I'm sure are different than yours and more like what's in Kentucky. You mentioned it was tough and hard to find a primary buck bed obvious enough to show as an example. So how would I take what you show from your area an apply it to mine? I don't mean this is a smart way so please don't take it as that. It's just that it's been hard for me to find the beds. Especially like you and others have shown where they're very noticeable. If it's that tough to see I'm just not sure how to translate that to my area.

I thought the same thing cause I don't hunt cattail marshes, but I went to Wisconsin anyway. During the workshop I seen things that I had walked past for years and never paid that much attention to. It was an eye opener. I know Alabama is a long way from Wisconsin, but if you have the chance, the workshop in Wisconsin is well worth the trip.

I think one of the issues here wasn't ncessarily the Kentucky terrain vs Wisconsin terrrain, but my choice of areas I took him to. Since the workshop we have found more areas based on what Dan taught than the way we normally looked at things. I'm still learning too.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:36 am

Southern Man wrote:
checkerfred wrote:

I thought the same thing cause I don't hunt cattail marshes, but I went to Wisconsin anyway. During the workshop I seen things that I had walked past for years and never paid that much attention to. It was an eye opener. I know Alabama is a long way from Wisconsin, but if you have the chance, the workshop in Wisconsin is well worth the trip.

I think one of the issues here wasn't ncessarily the Kentucky terrain vs Wisconsin terrrain, but my choice of areas I took him to. Since the workshop we have found more areas based on what Dan taught than the way we normally looked at things. I'm still learning too.

I was mostly referring to hills. If the beds are that hard to find, how can I translate something where he has hunted and scouted for years to my area. Because I've found the beds aren't worn down to the dirt in the ridges. I found one that was a doe or small buck the other day that I almost completely missed but found a little bit of hair.

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:07 pm

checkerfred wrote:
Southern Man wrote:
checkerfred wrote:

I was mostly referring to hills. If the beds are that hard to find, how can I translate something where he has hunted and scouted for years to my area. Because I've found the beds aren't worn down to the dirt in the ridges. I found one that was a doe or small buck the other day that I almost completely missed but found a little bit of hair.

My opinion, but you may not find beds worn to the dirt. I find lots of beds in areas with decent deer populations, but not mature buck populations. I never find them worn to the dirt, just how it goes in some places. If you have lots of decent areas or decent thick areas without a hard back object(rock, cut, log, etc) then that area will be bedding, not one specific bed. If a deer bounces around his bedding, your not going to find it worn out. Even beds I find on a hump which nail down the bed arent worn out. Areas I hunt there are numerous bedding options, so I tend to think the bedding moves as well. You have to find enough of these spots to bounce around and you will learn when they are productive and when they arent. Finding the bed is a big part of it, but in my opinion thats the easy part. When its used and how is the bigger part of the puzzle.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”