Scouting for the late season

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zona
500 Club

Scouting for the late season

Unread postby Zona » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:51 am

Anyone doing any scouting for the late season? Our flintlock and archery comes back in the day after Christmas for 2 weeks and I still have ALL of my tags :oops:. In the past the late season has been known as "Fill the Freezer" season, but I am hoping to find some horns. Heading out now to pull a cam I had set in early November, hopefully after 2 weeks of gun season it's still there. :pray:

Lockdown

Re: Scouting for the late season

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:30 am

This week I was out 3 different days (twice at the same spot) for a total of 5 or 6 hours. I ended up bumping 2 shooters that I would have had shots at with a muzzleloader. I also tracked a 3 finger track and busted a buck out of his bed. Never saw that deer but he was shooter judging by track and bed size.

You've got a fighting chance Zona keep after em!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:28 am

Cam was still there. Not much to get excited about on the card, couple small bucks and does. No pics at all from our opening day of gun on November 30th until yesterday the 19th. Made a big loop around the area to check out a few points I found on a topo and jumped 2 deer of a knob on the edge of a thicket. One of the deer was very big but I didn't get a good look at it. Found the beds with large, clumped dropping near by. :think:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:51 am

started 2 weeks ago

next weekend im starting to scout a Giant public marsh .....it will take wile to walk all the transitions...I could easy see my self spending the whole winter in this marsh scouting :shifty:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:09 am

Not having buck beds pinpointed good enough, warm weather, no east winds,,,, all have me thinking i might as well start scouting instead of waiting for optimum conditions. Been holding out on some of my better spots so i don't burn them before giving it a go. Still going to wait for a few good sits in some spots, but as far as the rest of my areas it's time to quit making excuses and start getting relentless with stand on back and mission in mind.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:21 am

I have a question as i am about to scout a huge marsh also. This marsh is miles of cattails and when i look to scout the transition one thing strikes me, the transitions are easy to get to. Close to parking lots road and such so would u still look to hunt a transition??

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:49 am

BigHunt wrote:started 2 weeks ago

next weekend im starting to scout a Giant public marsh .....it will take wile to walk all the transitions...I could easy see my self spending the whole winter in this marsh scouting :shifty:

BH, I have a remote swamp to scout this year. Probably 3 square miles of remote country. How do you breakdowns a big area?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:17 pm

Just walk the transitions and small points in the marsh. Start there at least.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”