OFF SEASON SCOUTING: CA HELP

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

OFF SEASON SCOUTING: CA HELP

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:34 am

I have narrowed my off season scouting properties down to 5 public land properties. This one is tough... i need some insight!! Its going to be one of my main areas. I hear this place is very very thick w CRP, lots of crops and food plots, good deer sign, archery only. I have chosen a few decent spots based on hill country suspected bedding. Looking for ANY and ALL tips I can get for this place, especially anyone w experience in farm country. I will be keeping the thread alive most of the off season. I have split it into sections on the map so its easier to help me out. I can post more detailed ariel or topo.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: OFF SEASON SCOUTING: CA AREA HELP

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:39 am

I have only driven that property once. Middle of summer heat wave and it was midday. Seen a lot of deer and would love to glass a few area in the evening.

Are you close enough for regular trips or is this a big trip where you have to plan the scouting online?

The place is very recognizable so blacking out the details might not be enough to keep the info for yourself.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
<DK>
500 Club

Re: OFF SEASON SCOUTING: CA AREA HELP

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:03 am

justdirtyfun wrote:I have only driven that property once. Middle of summer heat wave and it was midday. Seen a lot of deer and would love to glass a few area in the evening.

Are you close enough for regular trips or is this a big trip where you have to plan the scouting online?

The place is very recognizable so blacking out the details might not be enough to keep the info for yourself.

Awesome, glad to hear from someone who has been there. I am right about an hour away... I have talked to 2 guys about it. 1 hunts the NW corner mostly and other doesn't hunt it anymore but he said there are good deer for sure.

And not trying to keep info as much on this one... its a tough place and I have a lot more areas to scout but if I hunt this one I have to option to call someone for help and its archery only so automatically im interested
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: OFF SEASON SCOUTING: CA HELP

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:07 pm

That is big enough for years of hunting. But I keep getting mixed up with deer hunting and big buck hunting.

Lots of area, but trying to focus on just the best bucks is why everyone says scout, scout, scout, then hunt. That shrinks an area quite quickly.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”