Navigating Hill Country without GPS/cell service, how?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Navigating Hill Country without GPS/cell service, how?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:21 am

Ive gotten pretty used to using my cell phone GPS and aerials to navigate lately. What if you are in totally unfamiliar areas? I plan on bringing printed aerials, printed topo, compass, and review in detail before heading out. I have a good sense of direction, and do most without a GPS or even compass, but realize things happen sometimes.

The walk back in the dark is most concerning. Ill only have the map and compass, for 1-2 miles through wooded hill country after dark. I havent done that before. Doesnt sound like an issue, but anyone thats been prepared has been surprised at least once Im sure.

Is there anytying esle I can do or just trust the map and compass?

kenn1320
500 Club

Re: Navigating Hill Country without GPS/cell service, how?

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:42 am

johndeere506 wrote:Ive gotten pretty used to using my cell phone GPS and aerials to navigate lately. What if you are in totally unfamiliar areas? I plan on bringing printed aerials, printed topo, compass, and review in detail before heading out. I have a good sense of direction, and do most without a GPS or even compass, but realize things happen sometimes.

The walk back in the dark is most concerning. Ill only have the map and compass, for 1-2 miles through wooded hill country after dark. I havent done that before. Doesnt sound like an issue, but anyone thats been prepared has been surprised at least once Im sure.

Is there anytying esle I can do or just trust the map and compass?

"sense of direction" gets more people lost than out of the woods. I was reminded of that several times when the gps said a different direction than my "sense". Its even worse in the dark as everything looks the same and you cant see very far. Ive also had situations where I couldnt get a gps signal down in the bottoms.

As I understand it, a compass and topo map allow you to navigate unfamiliar territory. You have to go in and mentally keep track of how far you walked in what direction. If you change direction, make note and this should allow you to calculate where your at on the topo, along with info on the map. The problem as I see it however is scouting we are constantly looking at the ground or seeing something and walking to it, changing direction and speed all the time. I hope one of the trackers gets on here and schools us. :D
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:16 am

Just recently started all this and mostly swamps where you can't see many land marks in front or behind. I have had maps and compass no gps because I'm poor. One night I got lost had to completely rely on compass to get out. Let me tell ya, the sound of a car on a road never sounded so sweet, but it was weird of that I felt so much more confident in getting out and navigating the old way.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:18 am

If your new to navigating in the dark with map/compass I would set trail markers for yourself in case you get turned around, I would also get a pace count for every 100m.so.you keep track of how far you've went and need to go, and I would practice night land navigation in an area your more familiar with first so you can see your mistakes, even the best will get lost at one point or another walking in the dark a mile + in, make sure your using a good map with proper azimuths and distances and pre set your compass for them

[ Post made via Android ] Image
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:28 am

If at all possible I like to parallel something, creek, train track, field edge, logging rd. A small notepad can help too. I.E. "walk creek to second bend, exit right, look for logging rd, take a left" simply reverse directions to get out. Notes can be taken as u enter a new area as well. Not possible in every instance. And I never have to worry about leaking info as no one else can decipher my handwriting lol

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:47 am

Most people worry way too much. Just stop and think or carefully remember as you go these points.

Before leaving the vehicle. Make note of the general direction your heading. You Gotta come back the opposite way to get out. Make note of the main road/roads that surround the area. If you cross one you've probably gone a long way. Same with creeks and rivers. If you cross a creek or river you'll probably need to cross it to get back.

If you go up a hill you'll need to come down. Cross a ridge you'll need to cross it on the way back out. Basically common sense stuff.

In the dark. DON'T use a white light to help you see. Use a red or green light. This allows you to keep your night vision. Only use the white light for map reading or setting a bearing on your compass.It's amazing how much what you pick up in the tree tops or on the horizon helps you. Especially after using the area after a few times.

BELIEVE your compass. Don't skimp here. Even the best hand held compasses are fairly cheap. Most come with excellent instructions on how to use them.

If it's still light out but you know you'll be traveling out in the dark. If you can get high. Climb a tree if that's what it takes. Get some bearings on known landmarks so you can plot where you are at on your map. This can help you choose a route out. These days some tall light or aura of lights from a city can be seen. Know what direction these will be in.

Try to follow something or a combo of things that are easy to discern. Like a finger ridge top or creek bottom. Even a hard transition line. When you map your route out.

Prepare an overnight kit. Have a space blanket. some food. Lots of cord. A 6'x6' piece of the thinnest (3mm is a good thickness) clear plastic for a tarp. And if you feel it will make you calmer to have a fire. A fire starting kit.

Practice ahead of time with your overnight kit. Making shelter from different materials and your plastic tarp and cord. Start fires with all of the tools in your fire starting kit.

Being confident that you'll be able to stay comfortable if you have to spend a night in the woods. Will take away alot of the stress involved about getting lost in the dark. If you do things right it can actually be fun. And it's kinda cool to brag that you spent an unplanned night in the woods!

Hope this helps. Be safe and have fun!
cbniner

Unread postby cbniner » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:25 am

You can download maps with wifi and the phone will still show you your location without service/signal, might not work in very remote areas but everywhere I've hunted whitetails the phone always works, no reason to not have a phone or gps, no time to be walking around half lost and second guessing when time is to valuable

cbniner

Unread postby cbniner » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:29 am

Or you can always follow an opposum to the road...

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:34 am

I have spent the night in the swamp here. Because I was stupid/ignorant and figured I was good with my GPS (Hint....they run on Batteries). It Died......No backup........told no one where I was going or even that I was hunting. I caulk that up to young, dumb, and full of well you get the idea. Got spun around trying to straight leg my way out of 54,000 acres of Swamp land in the dark.

Since then I am a boy scout when it comes to hunting. I have navigated many, many times since with just a compass and map. Someone said it earlier practice in a known area at night. that is not a skill you want to learn in the wilderness. Not that it can't be done.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:41 am

I've lived in the hills and hunted this terrain all my life. My dad started me when I was young, he'd take me out and say now which way to the truck, I'll follow you. I learned to pay attention to terrain features near me and in the distance. I can honestly say I've never been lost. I carry no compass but I do carry my phone. Not for the gps funtion but I could use it if needed. I just know my way around and I hunt new ground also, it's not the same piece. I think walking with your head up, and looking around is the most important, make a mental map as you go in and think of your exit route. This is what I do with no difficulty at all. Now take me to some flat featureless terrain and I would be lost. In the hills, no issue here.

Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:30 pm

You ain't living unless you have an adventure every now and then.

9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:14 pm

Try walking in backwards so that everything looks the same in the way out. Just kidding!

Some good tips above. I have definitely found my sense of direction to be off before. I bought a compass.

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:41 pm

I learned in my big woods fast...it was fairly easy but my brother got turned around one night. Same as was said above. I look at my topo map. If the road i access from is west from where I go then I know I need to walk west coming out. Even if it's not a straight line west that I walk out, unless the road turns in a different direction I'll hit the road somewhere. Once on the road it's simple. If I hunt a ridge top and don't go down in a valley then don't go into the valley on the way out. In my big woods there's access roads or gravel roads down almost every ridge top. The valleys have creeks. The creeks can go miles and miles before coming to a road and even intersect other creeks then which way do you go?. You can get lost traveling low. The ridge tops will hit a logging road or forestry road or gravel road so stay high. Swamps could be harder but we don't have many where I am. The ones we do have some kind of edge...river or creek etc. so just know the direction of it and ur good.

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:57 am

Lots of great advice above.

Remember to turn around once in awhile and look at your back trail. It will look different.

It is helpful to build in a small offset on the way out so you will know which direction to go down the road to find the car.

Take a Orienteering class to really learn how to navigate in the woods with a map and a compass. Our DNR offers a free one and it is terrific.

Always, always, always trust your compass.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:15 am

Key information if you get turned around: know what direction (N,S,E,W) your road or the closest road is, set compass and keep walking till you get on the road. I've been turned around before but I knew if I kept walking the set direction I'd eventually run into the road. Of course you have to go around certain obstacles but when you're lost, you need to keep it simple.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”