Cyber scouting: Measure tree canopy dia. to find marsh beds.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Cyber scouting: Measure tree canopy dia. to find marsh beds.

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:49 pm

Have any of you considered measuring a trees canopy diameter. When zoomed in on aerials. To determine if the tree will be on a big enough high spot for a bed. If not. From boots on the ground experience. Is there a minimum size for trees that will have a high spot big enough for a bed.

What about brush. Is there a way to determine it's on high enough ground for a bed. Maybe by how thick it looks on fall pics.

Being new at this and having had a limited chance to scout last spring. I don't have much experience to go on. I just headed to every lone patch of brush and tree in the marsh.

Being new at the bed game. I was more intent on just finding a bed and didn't pay enough attention to all the factors. The details that would save time and steps in the future.

I only ask this stuff because the way my Lyme disease is going. If I'm able to scout on foot this spring. I'm probably still gonna be weak or at the best very out off shape. Going will be slow and every step will need to have a purpose.

Thanx Chuck!!

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Cyber scouting: Measure tree canopy dia. to find marsh b

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:23 pm

It can really vary and there doesn't seem to be a certain size tree from what I have seen except for tendencies within each individual marsh. However, I do find beds most consistently in spots that have a couple bushes or even saplings around 8'-12' feet apart. Very often there is land bridge of high and dry ground between them.

I hope you get better soon stash59. 8-)
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:52 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:It can really vary and there doesn't seem to be a certain size tree from what I have seen except for tendencies within each individual marsh. However, I do find beds most consistently in spots that have a couple bushes or even saplings around 8'-12' feet apart. Very often there is land bridge of high and dry ground between them.

Thanks that makes sense.

Me too!! I'm so exited about all the new stuff I've learned in the last year. Can't wait to apply it. I'm very confident that I can figure this all out and obtain success!

Come or high water I'm at least gonna kill a doe next year. I may need to get humble and ask for help. But I can't waste another season without at least a little time out in the field.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:25 am

Any other takers on this?
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:34 am

I had never thought of that and do not hunt marshes but I will be interested in responses anyway.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:18 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:It can really vary and there doesn't seem to be a certain size tree from what I have seen except for tendencies within each individual marsh. However, I do find beds most consistently in spots that have a couple bushes or even saplings around 8'-12' feet apart. Very often there is land bridge of high and dry ground between them.

I agree with this. Once you find a great bedding area in a marsh, study it on multiple aerials, then look for other areas that feature the same vegetation. Actually, this works best in a swamp environment, where everything seems the same at first glance. Nothing but flooded trees for acres. If you look close, however, you will likely note that some of the vegetation crowns (bush/tree tops) are bigger than the surrounding vegetation. This possibly indicates a slightly higher elevation and should be checked on foot. Once you locate a mature buck bedding area in this terrain, you should memorize what it looks like on as many aerials as you can find. Often, one particular view highlights a feature (color, crown size, shadows etc.). You can now find other areas that look similar and check them out.

It seems to be unique to each geographic location...so it is up to you to find the pattern for your area. This definately works. Plug the potential spots into your gps and check them systematically.
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:40 pm

I havent really paid much attention to the size of trees ive found buck beds by. Ive noticed i can locate a small group of 2 or 3 decent sized trees in a marsh on an aerial map and most of the time theres beds there...

Id say 1/2 of the time when i locate just a single tree on an aerial map and it will have a bed.

My thought is that the group of two or three trees create kind of one "bigger" base for the buck to lay on.

I guess this applies more to very wet marshes where they would like to get out of the water. I bet as time goes on and technology gets better, we'll be able to see things in very great detail from the computer.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:45 pm

Lymes is a tough thing to deal with by the way, keep on taking it one day at a time. It doesnt seem to be slowing you down and i respect the heck out of that!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
darenative

Unread postby darenative » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:11 pm

Another thing that helps when cyber scouting is to keep an eye on the elevation ticker on google earth, in the lower right corner of the screen. It has helped me locate lumps/high spots in the marsh that I would have otherwise overlooked because there was nothing substantial growing in that spot.
Matty

Unread postby Matty » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:04 pm

Stash,

Sorry to hear about your lymes. I have lyme disease so bad it messed up my heart. Lyme Carditis I believe it was called. It can be serious stuff. I was in the hospital for quite some time when it really hit me hard.

Then they had me on all kinds of antibiotics for a while and it helped to an extent, but I still have a lot of problems. I'm 35 and I've likely had it since I was about 16. I still get weird heart palpitations, difficulty breathing, swallowing and I stiffen up worse than a dead deer all the time. My joints are pretty shot too....knees, elbows, shoulders, fingers, you name it....I feel like I'm 120 years old most days. I couldn't keep up with the regimen they had for medicine though, it was making me sick too. I am not a fan of medication so I eventually stopped. I'll let my body fight it from here on out.

I live with it and it sucks, but you can push through it. Hopefully you caught yours in time and overcome it. My brother had it too, but he's healthy as a horse now after antibiotics. The doctor said I would probably never fully recover from the long-term effects though. I had it untreated for too long.

Supposedly it messes with my memory too, but I don't notice it.

Supposedly it messes with my memory too, but I don't notive it. lol jk....(it does a little bit though for real) Didn't effect my sense of humor thankfully.

Hope you feel better man. Good luck!!!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:32 am

Matty wrote:Stash,

Sorry to hear about your lymes. I have lyme disease so bad it messed up my heart. Lyme Carditis I believe it was called. It can be serious stuff. I was in the hospital for quite some time when it really hit me hard.

Then they had me on all kinds of antibiotics for a while and it helped to an extent, but I still have a lot of problems. I'm 35 and I've likely had it since I was about 16. I still get weird heart palpitations, difficulty breathing, swallowing and I stiffen up worse than a dead deer all the time. My joints are pretty shot too....knees, elbows, shoulders, fingers, you name it....I feel like I'm 120 years old most days. I couldn't keep up with the regimen they had for medicine though, it was making me sick too. I am not a fan of medication so I eventually stopped. I'll let my body fight it from here on out.

I live with it and it sucks, but you can push through it. Hopefully you caught yours in time and overcome it. My brother had it too, but he's healthy as a horse now after antibiotics. The doctor said I would probably never fully recover from the long-term effects though. I had it untreated for too long.

Supposedly it messes with my memory too, but I don't notice it.

Supposedly it messes with my memory too, but I don't notive it. lol jk....(it does a little bit though for real) Didn't effect my sense of humor thankfully.

Hope you feel better man. Good luck!!!

I have been having the symptoms for at least 5 years. With a possibility of 10+. I dealt with insomnia and depression for years before this. I still need sleep meds but the depression is gone.

My heart related stuff is minimal. Just high blood pressure. I have uncontrolled movements. Tenseness, stiffness and severe pain in my neck and shoulders. My lower back gets sore in a hurry when I'm on my feet. I'm sure some of this has to do with having to lie around so much. Because my muscles from my neck to my hands have been firing constantly for 5 years they always feel tired. Like from after a workout.

I have neurologically caused muscle atrophy in my shoulder and arm on my left side.

My memory stuff is way better than it was a few years ago. But back then I couldn't remember what I was doing when just making a sandwich.

I'm currently using a clinic with ILADS trained doctors.

Link:http://www.ilads.org/

They say from what their 2 different electromagnetic analyzing machines say. I'm doing better. But the neck and shoulder stuff is about the same or a little worse from when I started treatments. Although this is typical.

I'm also extremely weak overall. More so than when treatments started. Have headaches some days.

I'm worst a day or two before a storm front hits.

Here are a couple more links to things I'm looking into trying. You may want to check them out also!

http://coldlaserhy30d.weebly.com/index.html

http://www.resultsrna.com/new-and-exciting-lyme-disease-research/

Hope this helps.

Good luck Chuck!!

Sorry this took a tangent guys!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”