River bottom bedding/ edges

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

EthanHogan1

River bottom bedding/ edges

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:22 am

So, after reading some post on here about edges and river bottom. So, after looking at aerials and finding the inside corners I set out to walk the edge and find a good trail. The sign and trails along this edge were just great. Although I did not get you guys a pic of big tracks due to standing water in all the mud I did find a nice big bed. The picture does not show how used it is but it is completely flattened and hair in the grass. Also noticed this buck beds with wind to his back. The prevailing wind where I hunt is north/ northwest. Any way it is just one bed but I'm fascinated every time I find one. Mark it on my aerials and map the bucks track out the best I can. My goal is to find 20-30 beds this winter and hopefully some in hill country. Thanks for the help everyone

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

EthanHogan1

Re: River bottom bedding/ edges

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:36 am

One more. It is really hard to show this bed with my phone picture. It's a large bed it looks as if he may shift his body with different winds. Not sure but to a newb like me it looks like it

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:38 am

Cool.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:42 am

No... Thank you Stanley!!! Between your podcast and also an old thread where you and Dan talked about river bedding it inspired me, and two weeks ago I got permission on 200 acre with a small river winding through the far edge. This sight is full of great people and information! I would love to rack your brain on river hunting. Although, this piece of land this is more of a creek/ compared to your large river hunting.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:57 am

Those oxbows/peninsulas are applicable to smaller creeks. As Dan pointed out bucks often bed in the oxbow and have a quick escape.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:07 am

I have been reading!! I'm just learning and then wearing out some boots haha... Lots and lots of walking. If anyone thinks findings beds is easy, it is not. You have to look about 20 good spots to find one bed. But the reward is awesome

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:10 am

So true about beds being hard to find.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:16 am

Nice find! :dance:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:07 am

I think they are. I usually see a lot of great secluded trees, or lay downs and just assume they all have a deer bed near by. Not the case haha... I just keep looking. It's been a great scouting season so far. I hope 2016 will hold a lot of learning and success.

Bbostrom

Unread postby Bbostrom » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:12 am

Great job I have been having more sucess finding beds in swamps and cattails than In the classic hill country spots I have been thinking that may be due to hunting pressure but I'm unsure. Keep up the good work we will get there!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:25 am

Bstorm I have not got down to TN since I moved to GB in nov. but I do know where they bed on the farms in TN. I'm hoping to go down there this winter and document some good hill country beds so I can post them on here and people can see. I just think they use more beds on hill country due to the wind and thermals. Where as marsh only have one option to stay alive and that happens to be the swamp. In hill country I just fill like they have a lot more opportunity to not only switch beds, but evade humans. Just a theory. Also, I have found these beds and it's only one small piece of puzzle. I won't feel good until I kill one coming from his bed!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”