Camera bombing

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dirt nap giver

Re: Camera bombing

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:10 pm

phade wrote:I have had cams as close as 15 yards and have bucks show up on one and not the other consistently.

It is amazing the holes they can find in a "cam bombed" woodlot or line.

I'll say! Knowing this though really helps with the travel route and your access route.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:16 pm

dirt nap giver wrote:
phade wrote:I have had cams as close as 15 yards and have bucks show up on one and not the other consistently.

It is amazing the holes they can find in a "cam bombed" woodlot or line.

I'll say! Knowing this though really helps with the travel route and your access route.

Even if you can't get it nailed down tight, there are still some benefits.

For example a good buck we have alot of pics and an encounter or two with is a top target for my group. The property has elevation changes, hills, etc. and is roughly a square shape, give or take. We ruled out a quadrant within that "square" where we never got him on cams. It definitely resulted in an eventual encounter, but the deal was not sealed. We didn't hunt that quadrant much at all and focused our efforts on the other 75% and the cams helped tell us that.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:37 pm

dirt nap giver wrote:If your going to set them in July and leave them for an entire year, I would push the envelope and set those cameras closer to his beds, if not right over the beds.
I store my cameras in a tub of activated carbon, and I try to only set them with rubber gloves on so that the oils aren't on the cameras themselves. Set them just before good storm, even if you blow him out of there. It's July, and it's not like your harassing him. He will come back.

Probably can't get away with this with a regular flash can you?

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:47 pm

cedarsavage wrote:
dirt nap giver wrote:If your going to set them in July and leave them for an entire year, I would push the envelope and set those cameras closer to his beds, if not right over the beds.
I store my cameras in a tub of activated carbon, and I try to only set them with rubber gloves on so that the oils aren't on the cameras themselves. Set them just before good storm, even if you blow him out of there. It's July, and it's not like your harassing him. He will come back.

Probably can't get away with this with a regular flash can you?

Some bucks are more tolerant than others, but I personally wouldn't risk it.
Someone has a topic where they did a bed cam with an IR and the deer spots the glow

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:27 pm

Great information DNG. I have some areas that would set up great for "camera bombing". I think I'm going to have to get my feet wet with this strategy.

I run a lot of covert trail cameras. On the black flash cams, do you prefer the black 60 or the mp6/mp8 black cams?
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:12 am

Mibowfreak wrote:Great information DNG. I have some areas that would set up great for "camera bombing". I think I'm going to have to get my feet wet with this strategy.

I run a lot of covert trail cameras. On the black flash cams, do you prefer the black 60 or the mp6/mp8 black cams?

Thanks. I dont know what cameras they are to be honest. They are all black is all I know. Other than the one predator cam I have left, the rest are black. Sorry
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:33 am

I guess I'm gonna have to buy some more cameras, I think that and observation sits are some of the puzzle pieces I'm missing

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:00 pm

How are you bombers going about choosing locations for the camera when placing many cameras? Also how you use all these pictures to your advantage to gain a pattern... Especially on small average where mature bucks may not live 24/7. I like the post stating the ability to delete a section of land because that certain target buck wasn't using it

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:06 pm

cedarsavage wrote:I guess I'm gonna have to buy some more cameras, I think that and observation sits are some of the puzzle pieces I'm missing

Agree.. There are some threads on deals. Im picking up a couple more.

This is a great thread.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:17 pm

hunter10 wrote:How are you bombers going about choosing locations for the camera when placing many cameras? Also how you use all these pictures to your advantage to gain a pattern... Especially on small average where mature bucks may not live 24/7. I like the post stating the ability to delete a section of land because that certain target buck wasn't using it

Rub lines, scrapes, trails with big tracks, heavily used trails etc.
it's an attempt to find how they are moving through the spot and timing of their travel. Wind direction is researched by using
weatherunderground.com. There you can enter your zip code, and pick the past date and that tells you what the wind direction was during the time of travel. When you have that many cameras out, you know where they are located and which way they are facing, when one of those cameras doesn't have much activity, while another camera 25 yards away has a coupe hundred pictures, it's rather easy to establish a travel route.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:11 am

great info here
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:24 am

I just picked up 2 more cams.. 60 bucks n free shipping.. Gonna be dropping "The Bomb" on a couple areas.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:33 am

If this thread isn't in the top threads section already, I think it should be

Hooks1

Unread postby Hooks1 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:39 pm

hunter10 wrote:If this thread isn't in the top threads section already, I think it should be

Dan has added this to the All Time Best Tactical Threads.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:26 am

Great thread. Especially like the part about using the dead cam info that had very little deer on it as possible means of entry exit. How high do you guys put your cams? My current cams are around 8ft and I've not gotten a pic of a deer looking at a cam yet, but I was thinking about making one of those nylon web ladders to be able to get them a few feet higher.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”