December 18-22 Draw Hunt

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

December 18-22 Draw Hunt

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:59 am

I have a draw hunt for five days in December in NE IL. Property can be hunted five days a week for most of our season but my guess is it has been less than that (starts 10/01). Part of a much larger overall parcel, but my draw is for a fairly small piece +- 40 acres. Didn't bother trying to disguise as it is fairly well know annual draw hunt with heavy pressure in north Chicago suburbs. Easy enough to figure out anyways.

I had a chance to do a walk through late summer on this piece and just went out today to take a look (shhhh, I'm supposed to wait until my week, but I've been keeping any eye on it and not much activity, so I went for a quick 20 minute loop).

Saw quite a few rubs and scrapes, but I don't have a buck tag left. Looking to get on a doe or two in my five days.

Below is a topo of the portion I can hunt along with an overall aerial of the area with some notes. Assuming we have snow, I'll probably do a big loop see what is moving and go from there, but curious where other guys would start based upon the below with the goal simply to get an arrow in an antlerless deer. Going to start doing drive-bys at dusk leaving work this week see if I can figure out where they are eating. Tons of red and white oaks in the wooded area, but wasn't able to tell what's left in my quick walk today. Presume some as we had a great acorn year, but will see what kind of pawing shows up when the snow comes back.

Kraftd
500 Club

Re: December 18-22 Draw Hunt

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:54 pm

Just realized I never actually asked for opinions...was hoping I could get some thoughts from some beasts on where they may start!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”