FINALLY!! Found some beds.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

EthanHogan1

FINALLY!! Found some beds.

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:02 pm

Finally found some beds! I'm assuming they are buck beds do to the isolation and single deer shape. I have been searching and searching. Finally got a little snow and it really helped. I know I should be doing this post season but I have only been in Wisconsin for a month and really just excited about learning.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

mhill

Re: FINALLY!! Found some beds.

Unread postby mhill » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:33 pm

When you found those beds did you think why is that buck bedding there. What way does he use the wind while in the bed where is he entering and exiting. Bucks enter bedding with the wind in their face but may leave in any direction they want no matter the wind direction. Keep these things in mind when you come across beds.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Bowtech D350
Axcel Accutouch
Goldtip Velocity 300
Grim Reapers
XOP Enforcer
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:49 pm

They CAN be figured out. But getting your hands on one is still a challenge . Good luck.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:43 pm

Check out this link for some good info about beds.

http://www.drnordbergondeerhunting.com/ ... Areas.html

EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:54 am

Ohh yeah the game is not over yet... I considered wind, and did my best to get close to the bed without getting in it to see what they can see. That is going to be the challenge on hunting them. They can see every entry route I have access too. The other sides of the property are bordered by fields which they can also see.. Gonna be a fun battle to get in there, be quite and not be seen. It is a hard wood swamp. I can't always see everything I'm stepping on do to over growth and so forth. Also when the ice gives way it's sounds so loud. But at least I have some where to start

IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:44 am

I am keeping my fingers crossed for some snow this year. We rarely get any down here in Texas, and I have only found a few beds as well. I may even call in to go scouting if a good snow falls haha

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:03 am

8-) keep up the good work!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:17 am

Come to dans workshop in WI. Plenty of snow haha. Thanks hunter Mike. I hope I can make buck list next year. This year just has not worked out for me moving and so forth. And I used to be a mediocre hunter. I hope to change that this season and really do my scouting and hunt better. Thanks to the BEAST I'm off to a good start

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:00 am

This is the problem with Alabama...hardly any snow....I've had a tough go with it trying to find beds. I've found places I suspect bedding but can't be 100% sure. Yesterday I was in a thick area...tall grasses, saplings, briars etc. I was walking the 1/3'rd elevation then walked up a transition of the thicket and some planted pines. I found an area that had very low growth on the vegetation. No hair in it but thought why wouldn't it be grown up like the rest of the area. So it's difficulty without snow. I have found beds in hardwoods just from seeing the depressions which I assume were recent beds.
EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:54 am

Checker, Dan also does a hill country work shop. I will post some pics later that have no snow. You can tell because everything will be down to dirt they lay there so much or the leaves will be flattened. I'm no expert I just started doing this. It takes A LOT of looking haha... You can look at a post on here where I thought I found some beds and I was completely wrong :(...

EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:04 am

Similar to this is how that will appear. It won't always be down the dirt. But if used a lot you will find hair

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:28 pm

EthanHogan1 wrote:Image

Similar to this is how that will appear. It won't always be down the dirt. But if used a lot you will find hair

I've found some in the hills...one by my house...it did have hair but none of the ones I've found have ever been wore to the dirt. Granted I'm still a newb at this, so it could be I haven't just found the right ones yet. I've even jumped smaller bucks and does bedding in straw or briars and walked right up to the area where they were bedded and couldn't see the bed. Straw is the worst. But I keep at it lol
EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:51 pm

trust me for killing deer, understanding deer, and find beds I am a big FAT NEWB haha... I would consider looking at some of the old post on here and looking at some more bed pictures. Also, pay attention to how dan and other talk about where deer bed. Transitions, points, high spots, etc... All of these beds I found where in lowland / hardwood swamps. they were all surrounded by some kind of water or really thick cover. It is amazing how bucks bed. They are so smart. The ones I found in the snow were on a small 40 acre parcell. it is mostly lowland swamp and 3 sides surrounded by crop field. from those beds if you get down in them those bucks can see every field surrounding their bed. They can not only seen every entry point, but they can hear and smell. So, i have been looking at the map over and over to see how I can access without them seeing me and figure out their exit strategy. Also, dan and other mention satellite bedding as well as doe bedding changing as food sources change, weather, or hunting pressure. From what I have read and also seen while hunting the same farms in TN hill country for 11 years is doe bedding changes daily sometimes. It could be from a coyote chasing them, neighbor dumping out corn, or atv's whatever it may be.These beds may not be as worn down as a big mature bucks primary bed or even any bed that is used consistently. One thing that does not change is big/mature buck bedding location. Before moving to wisconsin Nov. 1 I watched a bachelor group leave a hill side 5 weekends in a row come out and feed into a bean field, cross the field and bed down. pattern never changed and you could not setup on them do wind and other factors. I also had watched to many TV shows and was scared to setup on that evening bedding location. (NEWB mistake on my part)... I did have one encounter with all 4 bucks one evening when they came to run off a 6 point in the feild under my stand. As i drew back I got busted by one of the larger deer and no shot. once again NEWB... moral of the story is everything is always changing around us.. The deer, the woods, our lives, etc... One thing that NEVER changes is that these big mature bucks bed in a specific location, for a specific reason, and they are REALLY hard to kill.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”