Heavy pressure

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tileguy72

Heavy pressure

Unread postby Tileguy72 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:43 am

People everywhere where I'm hunting public land. Where to look for day time movement if any at all?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

oldrank

Re: Heavy pressure

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:54 am

Welcome to The Beast !! If ur looking for tips n tactics on killing bucks on public land u have come to the right place. Id head to the Deer Hunting forums n spend a little time digging into the All Time Best Tactical Thread. More info in there then u will find in any magazine or other forum anywhere. I would recommend a little personal write up on yourself to introduce u too other members. Where u r from..what kinda terrain u hunt ect ect.. Guys r more then willing to help out.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:18 pm

Welcome to the Beast. Do what you have control of and get as far away from other hunters as you can.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:35 pm

Where I hunt is fairly heavy pressure... I search out thick wet marsh and swamp areas and look for areas others don't go... You can take an aerial of the property and mark off all the easy access dry land, then hunt in the remaining areas. 90% of the land might get heavy pressure, your looking for the remaining 10%.
If there was a guy rifle hunting every hundred yards on a public property they would kill every deer on the property... The deer are in the over looked gaps where you probably are not expecting them.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:37 am

Sometimes it's as simple as finding a place with no huntable trees. I even ask myself where almost no hunters would ever think of setting up. Scouting these kinds of places leads to some kind of mature buck sign a lot of the time.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:37 pm

I hunted heavily pressured public land today in Washington Co. Wis. There were 8 cars in the parking lot. I walked 100 yds and saw a dad with his little kid watching over a field. I can understand not taking a kid that small back in very far. Safety first. As I through the 100 yds of hardwoods and into the marsh grass and 6" of water for 200 yds. I had it all to myself, I think. I walked in .8 mi. ( .7 the way the crow flies.) I didm't see anyone and it was a very nice ,sunny day. I saw a small deer when I got 100 yds into the water. It seems 90% of the hunters are in the hardwoods with 10% of the deer, and 10% of the hunters are in the marshgrass/ dogwood/ tag elder where 90% of the deer are. I only started hunting this way this year cause going up north ( 2 degrees this morning in Price co. ) and 486 mi. round trip just doesn't make sense. Now , I hunt 4 mi. from home. I d go farther in the woods down here that up north though and it is harder walking down here. I am sure though, that even way back in the marsh there is enough hunting pressure that even they hole up back in the marsh. A few guys driving seems to shut them down.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:42 pm

I gained a lot of great information today in one of my public areas just by doing some walking and observing other hunters. It is one of the busiest weekends as far as pressure goes and everyone is wearing orange. I was on my feet all day doing drives, scouting and still-hunting. Great way to pattern the hunting pressure

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:11 pm

hunter_mike wrote:I gained a lot of great information today in one of my public areas just by doing some walking and observing other hunters. It is one of the busiest weekends as far as pressure goes and everyone is wearing orange. I was on my feet all day doing drives, scouting and still-hunting. Great way to pattern the hunting pressure

Can you give more details on this? I assume you're scouting and still hunting areas away from people. Are you driving around and marking cars etc? I would worry about getting shot...just curious as I'm wanting to pattern hunters and eliminate pressured areas.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:17 pm

This thread has links to LOTS of other great threads and most are organized by topic. Welcome to the beast!

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:17 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24471&p=314672&hilit=All+time+best+tactical#p314672

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:08 pm

checkerfred wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:I gained a lot of great information today in one of my public areas just by doing some walking and observing other hunters. It is one of the busiest weekends as far as pressure goes and everyone is wearing orange. I was on my feet all day doing drives, scouting and still-hunting. Great way to pattern the hunting pressure

Can you give more details on this? I assume you're scouting and still hunting areas away from people. Are you driving around and marking cars etc? I would worry about getting shot...just curious as I'm wanting to pattern hunters and eliminate pressured areas.

I wasn't purposely looking for hunters, but today it was inevitable to run into guys. There were people out on the access roads all over. The spot i was going to hunt today, i walked 3/4 of the way there and there were two guys in climbers in between me and my destination. I thought that wss interesting. I backed out, walked all the way back to my truck and went go a different parking lot. At that lot there were all sorts of people. One suspicious looking guy was kind of pacing around. When i got about 1/4 mile down the access it looked like he was following me. I got out of sight and then ducked into where i planned to hunt. I walked in slow and fairly quiet to where i was going to hunt and when i got halfway in i heard some noise behind me. I sat down to listen. Im pretty sure it was the guy from the parking lot. I heard him walk in about halfway to me, stop for about ten minutes and then backed out of there, making all kinds of noise.

So not really any groundbreaking intel on my fellow hunters but i did get a feel for what they are capable of. I was kind of surprised how many people are content with hunting right next to the main access trails.

checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:21 pm

hunter_mike wrote:
checkerfred wrote:

I wasn't purposely looking for hunters, but today it was inevitable to run into guys. There were people out on the access roads all over. The spot i was going to hunt today, i walked 3/4 of the way there and there were two guys in climbers in between me and my destination. I thought that wss interesting. I backed out, walked all the way back to my truck and went go a different parking lot. At that lot there were all sorts of people. One suspicious looking guy was kind of pacing around. When i got about 1/4 mile down the access it looked like he was following me. I got out of sight and then ducked into where i planned to hunt. I walked in slow and fairly quiet to where i was going to hunt and when i got halfway in i heard some noise behind me. I sat down to listen. Im pretty sure it was the guy from the parking lot. I heard him walk in about halfway to me, stop for about ten minutes and then backed out of there, making all kinds of noise.

So not really any groundbreaking intel on my fellow hunters but i did get a feel for what they are capable of. I was kind of surprised how many people are content with hunting right next to the main access trails.

Did the two guys in climbers see you? I wonder how many people on my public land hunt just off the access roads. Only one time did I hunt the same area where another car was parked. I killed a buck that day too and I figure it was due to the person leaving cause of the rain.

That's weird with that guy too. Reckon what he was up to?

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:12 pm

checkerfred wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:
checkerfred wrote:

Did the two guys in climbers see you? I wonder how many people on my public land hunt just off the access roads. Only one time did I hunt the same area where another car was parked. I killed a buck that day too and I figure it was due to the person leaving cause of the rain.

That's weird with that guy too. Reckon what he was up to?

They saw me im pretty sure. They were basically hunting the same chunk of ground that i wanted to hunt except i wanted to go a few hundred yards further in where there looked to be a good bedding point. They were sitting in the middle of the nice open woods.

I am not sure about the other guy. I dont think he meant any harm, just didn't really seem like he had any plan or place to be.

ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:48 am

Any day there is a lot of pressure , I use for scouting day. But, I alway bring a gun. I was way back in and though noone has hunted here in a while. Thought I found the spot till 3 crows flew up from the ground. AH, a dead deer,,, nope, a gut pile to douse my hopes. Then, I see another hunter walking , we meet up. A woman with a 20 ga. slug gun. She asks, how to get out of here. She didn't have a compass. She walked a long ways through that marsh and was tired I am sure. We walked put together but she ended up on the wrong road. She had hip boots on though. Her brother wounded a bruiser , 10 or 12 point, real big she said. Hardly any blood and she lost the trail. I am still going to hunt that stand someday though. Nice trail going through a slight high spot in the marsh for 1/4 mi. This is how I scout . On the best days I hunt the best stands, usually mid week.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”