Scout now or after it freezes?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

EthanHogan1

Scout now or after it freezes?

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:23 am

So here is a swamp. It is super wet. Would it be best to just dive in this late in the year, or should I just wait until the water freezes over nice and stay dry. Do the big bucks still use the swamps the same if the water is all frozen over?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Scout now or after it freezes?

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:35 am

A lot of deer migrate out of real wet swamps after snow and ice... And, some spots in some swamps never freeze solid... Went swimming a few times while scouting. Not trying to scare you, just better to be aware. Best scouting is in season, or after snow melts so you can see the old sign. Some of my best swamp scouting has been done during gun season still hunting thru bedding areas.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:43 am

By the looks of your map I would wait till it freezes solid, but like Dan said, you will likely take a dip anyway....I do every year. White ice is good, blackish ice means you are going for a swim.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:11 am

It looks really good. I think it is only going to get better with all the pressure coming up from gun season. Problem is I'm worried about getting lost in a cold wet swamp at night. Dan at night when coming out or even in am even though I know you hardly ever hunt Am. What kind of light do you guys use? do you think lights scare deer? color of light or brightness of light? Like I said I want to dive in ASAP but I would also like to really know the area before I come out at dark. Catch 22 that is for sure. Thanks Dan for all the advice on this sight. I know it has been a long path in the industry for you according to the internet. We all appreciate you being personal and helpful.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:41 am

That's a wet spot. I actually think my buddies and I hunted that spot several years ago for geese after seeing loaded fields to the northeast of there. We got wet. I'd walk the ditch east of the aerial now, walk the balance in the winter. Id expected bedding off that ditch. Good luck.

EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:43 pm

Bass boy pm me. You are right. It is WET! That's why I like it ha

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:57 pm

PM sent validating my claim above.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:00 pm

EthanHogan1 wrote:It looks really good. I think it is only going to get better with all the pressure coming up from gun season. Problem is I'm worried about getting lost in a cold wet swamp at night. Dan at night when coming out or even in am even though I know you hardly ever hunt Am. What kind of light do you guys use? do you think lights scare deer? color of light or brightness of light? Like I said I want to dive in ASAP but I would also like to really know the area before I come out at dark. Catch 22 that is for sure. Thanks Dan for all the advice on this sight. I know it has been a long path in the industry for you according to the internet. We all appreciate you being personal and helpful.

Lights should not be a problem.. use a compass and carry an aerial and getting lost should not be an issue either. However, take a look at some of the stuff along the road edge too... Read this article about me hunting along the road edge from a couple years ago:
http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/ ... ext-to-the
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:17 pm

There are high spots along all the ditches on this piece of public land...common with all ditches actually. I'd personally walk all of them this spring with a GPS and mark accordingly. The better ones will show a decent tree canopy on the ditch line. I think there is a thread on marsh ditches somewhere in the forum.

EthanHogan1

Unread postby EthanHogan1 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:24 pm

Wow thank you guys so much. This sight gets so much better every day!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”