Finding new logging areas

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

justin84
500 Club

Finding new logging areas

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:04 am

I was using Google Earth today and noticed a change from an aerial image between may 2013 and july 2015. There were roads in the newer image and you could see that trees were cut. The 2013 image is a spring image so you can tell this area was all some type of hardwood, since there were no leaves yet. I thought this was cool, and gave me a new place to explore since these tend to be great areas to find deer in the northwoods. Anyone else notice recent changes like this on new aerial imagery and take advantage?

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Finding new logging areas

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:11 am

Yeah they changed it last Friday in our area. Sucks big time with all the green foliage.

The earlier images I could detect cedar areas vs typical pine or hemlock....now it is a lot more difficult.

This will suck when I'm tracking in unfamiliar territory identifying potential bedding and poor areas to cut through on return back to truck.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:36 pm

If you use google earth on the desktop you can toggle between different dates. Have you tried that? Yea the newest summer aerials really suck it is hard to distinguish anything but this is where I spotted some new logging roads.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:39 pm

No I havent, don't typically use Google Earth but will check it out for home computer. (At home was utilizing ACME mapper) thanks for the heads up.

Is there a way to view, toggle between dates on smart phone when in the field?

bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:27 pm

You may be able to contact your forest service station and get a copy of the timber sale maps. I've done that in the past and then marked the sale locations on my topo maps & cross checked them with caltopo.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:52 am

I toggle through the date all the time on Goggle Earth. Alot of the fall pics aren't current so double checking the newest one helps determine any major changes.

I also thought about contacting the county or local forestry dept. They should even give you a heads up on new timber sales areas that haven't yet been signed to contract and are yet to be cut. Getting in ahead of these will allow you to find trails and sign from before the cut. Often terrain features will cause deer to use the same or similar travel routes after the cut. But the trails may not be as defined yet since the cut.

I saw this alot with elk in Montana.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:43 am

Good tip.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:56 am

My forest service department mailed me copies of the timber sale maps, then I copied them to my topos. Checked on Caltopo then verify on foot.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:31 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:No I havent, don't typically use Google Earth but will check it out for home computer. (At home was utilizing ACME mapper) thanks for the heads up.

Is there a way to view, toggle between dates on smart phone when in the field?

I don't see a place to toggle through historical imagery on the iPhone app.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”