Is there anyway possible to determine area seeking?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Is there anyway possible to determine area seeking?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:58 am

Besides scrapes and rubs, is anyone able to determine if bucks are seeking in a particular area or if does in area are about to come into estrus other than simply being there and seeing what's going on? Obviously scrapes and rubs would tell us of an active buck(s) but is there any other sign that says to you..."I need to sit this area for bucks chasing".

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Bucky

Re: Is there anyway possible to determine area seeking?

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:03 am

Nov 6th in the Midwest.... bucks are seeking guaranteed! Some are probably locked down already on a doe.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:04 am

If u don't wanna stink up the woods trying to figure out what is going on... spotlight after dark. You will see bucks chasing does almost guaranteed

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:19 am

Another indication is lone fawns feeding/traveling. Road kill, people seeing bucks midday driving.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:27 am

Check with your state game agency - many states conduct fetal studies on harvested does that can pretty much nail the peak breeding dates (it is later and more consistent then most tend to think). Younger bucks go crazy early and give many a false sense that "the rut" is in full swing..... but they are just like Freshman that show up at the dance at 7:00 - the guys (Seniors) that actually gets the girls knows nothing happens until after 10:00 and that the ladies are waiting for them..... don't think there is much difference out in the woods if doe/buck ratios are in check :)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:31 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Check with your state game agency - many states conduct fetal studies on harvested does that can pretty much nail the peak breeding dates (it is later and more consistent then most tend to think). Younger bucks go crazy early and give many a false sense that "the rut" is in full swing..... but they are just like Freshman that show up at the dance at 7:00 - the guys (Seniors) that actually gets the girls knows nothing happens until after 10:00 and that the ladies are waiting for them..... don't think there is much difference out in the woods if doe/buck ratios are in check :)

Great point

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:40 am

You can also check with Universities in your state - ask for the Biology director and see if any thesis students have done similar studies - many will work with Fish and Game to do so. You would be surprised what you can learn from these studies :shhh:
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:42 am

I saw a nice one locked down with a doe by a road in a neighborhood on the way to work this morning. I am a bit disgusted because I took off 3 days this week thinking it would be prime time and now it sounds like prime time will be this weekend through next week...and I'm still trying to Figure out how this could happen. Everything I've seen, here and elsewhere suggested prime time to be last week of October and first week of November. Now it's looking more like second week of November. I know it's hard to nail down exactly....just disappointed. I saw good action last year during that time frame.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:06 am

If there are does there will be bucks.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:10 am

Stanley wrote:If there are does there will be bucks.

That's my big problem here. Does are very hard to find around here. I got lucky last year when one that smelled right walked past me. When you get 6 bucks following one doe you know there are issues in your area.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:15 am

Im with Bucky on this... The date is what matters. Its the same date every year. Weather, moon, heat, pressure, etc. might all have some influence on daytime movement, and the date might vary from area to area, but the rut is at the same time every year.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:22 am

Dewey wrote:
Stanley wrote:If there are does there will be bucks.

That's my big problem here. Does are very hard to find around here. I got lucky last year when one that smelled right walked past me. When you get 6 bucks following one doe you know there are issues in your area.

Great point Dewey. I think a lot of hunters get caught up in "you need to shoot does". I know it dominoes and then pretty soon there are too few does and then hunters complain because they are not seeing any bucks. As hunters we need to take some responsibility. Some do, but a lot of guys are after their share no matter what.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:27 am

dan wrote:Im with Bucky on this... The date is what matters. Its the same date every year. Weather, moon, heat, pressure, etc. might all have some influence on daytime movement, and the date might vary from area to area, but the rut is at the same time every year.

Absolutely 100% correct. I think guys confuse movement with actual rutting activity. Just because there is no movement in the area you are hunting does not mean the rut has changed dates. :think:
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:32 am

That is an issue in some properties surrounding me, hunters killing too many, but not on the specific property I hunt although it is only 40 acres and therefore subject to surrounding pressure. One thing I know, for any bucks that do make it through it will heat up come December.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:54 am

Kinda relates to my post about doe tarsal staining. If your not seeing does with stained tarsals they aren't in heat or been in heat.

The link:

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32866

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”