When A Hunch Reveals A Swamp Donkey

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

When A Hunch Reveals A Swamp Donkey

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:13 am

While virtually scouting a local tract of land near my school, I saw this back corner off of an AG field that really peaked my interested. Being it was a long long walk from the parking area, naturally I put if off until the 80+ temps dropped. When they finally did I hiked back there and was pleasantly surprised!

That's my Prime Impact with a 35" ATA next to the rub leading into a soybean field! That's a great rub by any means, but a MASSIVE rub for South GA. It looks old and had some regrowth on the tree, but it looks as if the tree was recently rubbed because it had that shine to it. There was also some bark that looked recently peeled towards the top of the rub.

So after seeing this and some tracks & droppings in the immediate area I began to look around. I stumbled upon an old buck bed that had some massive rubs in it, but this bed was 2-3 years old. The old buck bed is marked in red and the buck rubs in black with arrows marking their direction. The one rub that I found towards the South was very recent and I followed this bucks tracks into the old bucks bed.

Unfortunately it didn't seem like he was bedding where the old buck bed was, he was definitely walking through it frequently though. So right now I have my trail camera soaking in this area, hoping that I can get some pictures to reveal travel direction.

I'm suspecting him to be bedded on a high spot that the topo's don't reveal, I just don't want to intrude on the area too heavily. Right now I've been working the fringes ever since I came across the rub and buck bed. Thankfully it had rained after both days I scouted, so my presence hasn't been overly pronounced (at least I'm hoping).

My goal is to keep this thread rolling and go through a "hunt by hunt" log about how I hunt this individual buck.
Last edited by Twenty Up on Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Zap

Re: When A Hunch Reveals A Swamp Donkey

Unread postby Zap » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:18 am

:lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:01 pm

Went in to check the trail cameras this afternoon, found this track 250 yards away from the camera. Length of an Iphone 6 and just about as wide. I was hoping that the buck that made this was also going to be on camera.

Out of the 50 pics they were of two 6's and a doe. The camera had just missed a shot at one of the buck rubbing the tree just to the right since we noticed a fresh rub setting up the camera.

So the game is to back the camera off 200 yards, we found several set of tracks coming from a particular direction. It seems that the buck likes to view the trail head near a point that jets into a swamp.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:16 pm

8-)

Nice track!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”