Challenge to Map Gurus, Anything you guys seeing that I dont

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

365buckin

Challenge to Map Gurus, Anything you guys seeing that I dont

Unread postby 365buckin » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:42 am

I drew a zone for October 1 to 15. I cannot go on the property until Oct 1, so all boots on the ground scouting are out. It is a long drive so I will not be able to drive by it before hunting either. Never been there and just got the location. It will be a go in blind and hunt kinda thing. I've been studying it,
-Plenty of Ag fields, not sure if they are cut, beans are still green, or what is even in them.
-Good ridges for bedding.
-Probably good acorn mast trees according to description DNR gave me.
-Water in creek, or at least a seep or 2 still holding some water.

Ridges for bedding, water, and food...Seems to be the perfect combo from the map.

It appears they will be bedding on the ridges. Get up and get a drink, mill on some acorns, then make their way to the ag at dusk.
I plan on getting there early seeing what is in the fields,
checking for major trails crossing the road,
and walking the north field edge to look for big tracks entering the field.

This is the first time I have ever had limited time on Public property, so I'm open to suggestions.

johndeere506
500 Club

Re: Challenge to Map Gurus, Anything you guys seeing that I

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:58 am

I not an expert here but I like to look at things I think others wont. Walking that field edge would probably be the first thing everyone does. That inside corner in the far back might be good, look like they might funnel up there from the topo too. I'd be hunting stand on back on fresh sign near the points you mentioned, while making my way to the inside corner after a couple days.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:16 am

I'd figure out who to call or email to find out the ag fields now. Are you the lone hunter? Has it been open to others prior to your time?

If more hunters than you or previous open seasons to others. I'd go as far in as possible. The areas close to the ag will be or get burned out first.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:21 am

Are you the only guy who gets to hunt on it all fall? or will there be other unknown people walking all over?
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:22 am

ha chuck i did not see you posted my exact question oops
365buckin

Unread postby 365buckin » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:25 am

stash59 wrote:I'd figure out who to call or email to find out the ag fields now. Are you the lone hunter? Has it been open to others prior to your time?

If more hunters than you or previous open seasons to others. I'd go as far in as possible. The areas close to the ag will be or get burned out first.

Only 1 hunter is allowed in at a time. I'm the first hunter. I have it for 15 days all to myself. This is the first year this piece has been open to the public.
Be in the woods as often as you can....and as long as you can!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:34 am

If that field to the north is corn: there looks like there is a natural spring out in that field. I had a crazy/unexpected big buck encounter once in a similar spot, It was just a small 1/2 acre wet spot that was all brush and un-farmable. There was a big buck hanging out in there in october and I bumped into him.
365buckin

Unread postby 365buckin » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:44 am

hunter_mike wrote:If that field to the north is corn: there looks like there is a natural spring out in that field. I had a crazy/unexpected big buck encounter once in a similar spot, It was just a small 1/2 acre wet spot that was all brush and un-farmable. There was a big buck hanging out in there in october and I bumped into him.

Ill definitely check into that because it might hold a bedded deer. Some maps look like it is planted though. I guess I'll see when I get there.
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:58 pm

The saddle under the H on the topo looks like a likely spot to me.

bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:06 am

How did you make out?
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
365buckin

Unread postby 365buckin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:51 am

Great looking property! Complete waste of time. Illinois dnr IRAP (Illinois recreation assistance program) is a joke. Supposed to be 1 hunter per section and the locals were there hunting too. Had a neighbor threaten me that my truck wouldnt be there when i came back if any of his stands were stolen. Complete bummer experience especially after driving over an hour. Never went back.

Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:57 am

365buckin wrote:Great looking property! Complete waste of time. Illinois dnr IRAP (Illinois recreation assistance program) is a joke. Supposed to be 1 hunter per section and the locals were there hunting too. Had a neighbor threaten me that my truck wouldnt be there when i came back if any of his stands were stolen. Complete bummer experience especially after driving over an hour. Never went back.

That sucks man! You know we put in so much work to research public land programs and then to find out that someone who completely ignores all the rules ruins the experience. This ticks me off. How did you keep from knocking his teeth out?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:24 am

365buckin wrote:Great looking property! Complete waste of time. Illinois dnr IRAP (Illinois recreation assistance program) is a joke. Supposed to be 1 hunter per section and the locals were there hunting too. Had a neighbor threaten me that my truck wouldnt be there when i came back if any of his stands were stolen. Complete bummer experience especially after driving over an hour. Never went back.

And that's why I pack a .44. I would look that dude in the eyes, slide the trigger thing off and say Really?

365buckin

Unread postby 365buckin » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:10 am

It was a scare tactic. I still hunted since i drove all that way. I was a little nervous about my truck being vandalized so i decided to leave a little earlier than i normally would.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:22 am

DaveT1963 wrote:

And that's why I pack a .44. I would look that dude in the eyes, slide the trigger thing off and say Really?

Sorry to take it off topic here but are you saying you would brandish a deadly weapon? If I am not mistaken that could get you in a boat load of trouble? Not trying to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do, I am just surprised that someone would choose that route, potentially opening up the door for a life ending encounter!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”