Kentucky strip mine

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tbunao
500 Club

Kentucky strip mine

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:20 pm

I was just granted permission to hunt a 500 acre piece in western ky. There is also an 40 acre strip mine across the road from it that I can also hunt. I have no idea what these strip mines are like but I've heard good things. Anyone have any experience with them? Tips? Stories? I will not be hunting it until next September

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Kentucky strip mine

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:06 pm

I haven't hunted them, but from the description I have heard and read about I would say you can expect old bucks and very difficult terrain.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:14 pm

I hunt strip pits in western MO. Best hunting and highest deer densities I have ever seen. Its very thick with lots of elevation contour changes not picked up maps, ample water, and not many suitable trees. Deer paths/trails that resemble cattle farms. Good luck!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:14 am

I treat a reclaimed strip mine like a bedding area. I walk the transition looking for sign. Topos provide little help.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:52 am

I've noticed that deer like to bed/travel near the edges of sheer cliffs/high walls. I think it's because it eliminates an entire half of the compass for which they have to worry about predators. Cliff to their back, eyes and nose in the other directions.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:33 am

As mentioned, some of these have straight wall drop offs. Know the area your walking and know it well, cause death could be 1 wrong step in the dark. It can be thick nasty brush for cover, where you cant find a tree, but the deer are in there. If trimming was allowed, would be a great opportunity to create a ground blind in the spring with shooting lanes to some of the trails. No doubt if you cut a trail, the deer would use it, its that thick. My guess is they bed on the perimeter more than in the center, but can retreat in deeper if needed.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”