Helping Friends Hunt a Beast

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

Helping Friends Hunt a Beast

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:59 am

Well there's two very large, 4.5+ YO bucks that are driving my buddies nuts, they've gotten a couple dozen pictures of them always at night around 10pm. The pictures started in late August and are still coming in- last pic was September 10. Catch is, the property is only 85 acres and the bucks are only using the very back edge, roughly 30 acres of the property. I managed to lock it down to them using this property with a West/South West wind the most, so I'm looking for bedding areas favoring this wind.

Red= property Lines
Yellow= Buck pictures are below this line, never gotten a picture of him above the yellow
Purple= Rub line & rubs I found checking out the property the one day I was allowed to hunt
Orange Circles= Where I'm suspecting this buck is bedding

The woods were clearcut in the last 5-8 years, it's VERY thick with a lot of doe bedding on the West edge of the property (in Red). You cannot hang a treestand in 90% of these woods, and if you can you aren't climbing higher than 10' it's so dense.

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
headgear
500 Club

Re: Helping Friends Hunt a Beast

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:33 am

I'm going to guess they are bedding on the network of ridges to the southwest of your friends property. 10pm photos isn't a good sign, they are around but maybe not all that close. I think their best bet is to be patient and wait until closer to the rut. Once the leaves fall and there is more pressure in the surrounding area the bucks could move into all that thick cover or start chasing does when the time is right.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:01 am

headgear wrote:I'm going to guess they are bedding on the network of ridges to the southwest of your friends property. 10pm photos isn't a good sign, they are around but maybe not all that close. I think their best bet is to be patient and wait until closer to the rut. Once the leaves fall and there is more pressure in the surrounding area the bucks could move into all that thick cover or start chasing does when the time is right.

I agree, there is a 3.5 YO 7pt that's bedding off of the soybean field where I found that rub line, but that's the extent of the bucks on their property.
The one thing they have going for them is that the hunting club to the West shoots anything that moves and has been driving ATV's around their property and building deer condo's all opening weekend I was there, we could hear them yelling and hollering from several hundred yards away.. So I'm hoping that if anything those bucks will avoid that area more-so than their property.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:28 am

Twenty Up wrote:
headgear wrote:I'm going to guess they are bedding on the network of ridges to the southwest of your friends property. 10pm photos isn't a good sign, they are around but maybe not all that close. I think their best bet is to be patient and wait until closer to the rut. Once the leaves fall and there is more pressure in the surrounding area the bucks could move into all that thick cover or start chasing does when the time is right.

I agree, there is a 3.5 YO 7pt that's bedding off of the soybean field where I found that rub line, but that's the extent of the bucks on their property.
The one thing they have going for them is that the hunting club to the West shoots anything that moves and has been driving ATV's around their property and building deer condo's all opening weekend I was there, we could hear them yelling and hollering from several hundred yards away.. So I'm hoping that if anything those bucks will avoid that area more-so than their property.

That sounds like good news to me. If the neighbors are disturbing them a lot than they will probably move. I would wait like headgear said. When the pictures start getting closer to daylight then I would make my move.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”