Productive Shining Trip

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BuckyHunter13

Productive Shining Trip

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:18 pm

I saw one of two or three primary target bucks tonight about 7:30, bedded in beans about 80 yards off the road. I was only about 2 minutes from my house so I flew, grabbed my camera and headed back. By the time I got back he was gone, but a bicyclist rode past just before I got there.

Fast forward 3 hours; I spotted what I'm guessing was him on my 2nd lap around the 'block'. He was alone about 40 yards from his earlier spot in the field, 5-10 yards inside the wood edge. It looked like a big deer and it was alone, so I'm guessing it was him. It seemed like a weird spot, about 100 yards from a house. Between the house and field edge is a wooded horse enclosure/pasture, so maybe there's a benefit to being close to the horses. There are a lot of coyotes this year.

I was pumped to see his growth from the last time I saw him on July 16th. He's added several inches to what looked like every tine.

I haven't done much shining since I was little until this year. Back then it was a way for my dad to just get me out to see some deer. It's pretty fun, and I'm gaining useful intel I didn't have 2 hours ago.

Are there any tips besides my interpretation of the 'basics'? Here's the list I'm working from, when time permits.

1. First hour or two of dark and/or before sunrise. (Noting how it relates to bedding...)
2. Shining on and noting different winds/weather.
3. Documenting encounters and conditions (crop, weather, moon, etc.)

Here he is July 16th... 2:30PM - Any guess on age? I have seen some serious tracks all late fall into spring, I assume they belong to him. If not, cool. :dance:

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Productive Shining Trip

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:39 pm

lOOKS LIKE YOUR ON THE RIGHT TRACK... 8-)
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:43 pm

Wow nice buck! Its nice that its close to home so should be easy to keep tabs on.
BuckyHunter13

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:14 pm

I had a bunch of encounters with him last year and never sealed the deal. I've got a bunch of pictures of him from last year late season and beyond. We're both a year smarter, we'll see who's advanced further on the learning curve. It'd be a shame to let him die of old age.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”