Run and Gun or Scout Now!

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Run and Gun or Scout Now!

Unread postby Czabs » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:46 am

I've always been hesitant to go into an area I haven't scouted in the winter/spring to scout before I hunt due to the fact I am afraid I will booger the area with my presence and scent. I have a couple areas here I haven't set foot in but have a good indication there will be deer using the area. My main reasoning in going in is to check out a couple secluded fields to see if there is even a good buck using the area and to get a general feel on how the deer are using the area to their advantage. I want to get a better understanding of the terrain as well and look for secluded oaks holding acorns.

My access is not the greatest and I feel as though I will be tromping through some possible bedding to even get to a tree I will be able to glass the fields in. I guess I'm wondering if anyone has had luck getting aggressive right before season with the glassing/scouting and got it done. I've always had better luck going in blind the day I hunt and scouting my way in, its just the unknown thats got me going bonkers over here. I've looked at the map a hundred times. I've said yes go in and no don't go in a hundred times. I tend to overthink a lot of situations like this. Just looking for some input.

headgear
500 Club

Re: Run and Gun or Scout Now!

Unread postby headgear » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:19 am

Before I found the beast I use to scout a lot in late summer, even kicking up a few nice bucks and going back after them on the bow opener. Needless to say I never laid eyes on those deer with a bow in hand. Since finding the beast I have had 4-5 encounter with nice bucks and almost connected on a couple of them.
pitz0022

Unread postby pitz0022 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:32 am

headgear wrote:Before I found the beast I use to scout a lot in late summer, even kicking up a few nice bucks and going back after them on the bow opener. Needless to say I never laid eyes on those deer with a bow in hand. Since finding the beast I have had 4-5 encounter with nice bucks and almost connected on a couple of them.

:think: The one in profile picture looks pretty nice to me for a big woods buck. This will be my first year as a Beast. I am following in your footsteps. The first step was how I place my trail cams. I used to be that guy who put them where I am going to hunt. I haven't set foot in the areas I hunt since April. I have however scouted some new stuff.

Czabs - In the most recent podcast, Dan mentions scouting places you've never been before and have no intentions of hunting this time of year, or sitting observation stands. He also mentions it is worth doing if you need the intel. Actually the whole podcast is related to your post. It is worth your time if you haven't already.
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:43 am

pitz0022 wrote:
headgear wrote:Before I found the beast I use to scout a lot in late summer, even kicking up a few nice bucks and going back after them on the bow opener. Needless to say I never laid eyes on those deer with a bow in hand. Since finding the beast I have had 4-5 encounter with nice bucks and almost connected on a couple of them.

:think: The one in profile picture looks pretty nice to me for a big woods buck. This will be my first year as a Beast. I am following in your footsteps. The first step was how I place my trail cams. I used to be that guy who put them where I am going to hunt. I haven't set foot in the areas I hunt since April. I have however scouted some new stuff.

Czabs - In the most recent podcast, Dan mentions scouting places you've never been before and have no intentions of hunting this time of year, or sitting observation stands. He also mentions it is worth doing if you need the intel. Actually the whole podcast is related to your post. It is worth your time if you haven't already.

I will have to look into that one. I haven't got to that one yet. Thanks
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:10 am

Here is a link to that podcast:
http://thehuntingbeast.com/podcast.php
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:16 am

pitz0022 wrote:

Sorry left out some details, I was specifically talking about going in blind. I've taken a couple of good ones since learning beast tactics. Hoping to add another this season. 8-)
Timmy

Unread postby Timmy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:40 pm

Czabs, you said you feel as though you will be tromping through some possible bedding to even get to a tree you will be able to glass the fields in. Is this the same way in you would take if you were to hunt the area? If it is, and you will go thru that area regardless, maybe it would be beneficial to do some scouting before season. If you are going to push deer out of that bedding area getting in there, it might be better to push them out of there before season rather than the day of the hunt in hopes that those deer would possibly relocate to another nearby bedding area that you could hunt.
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:00 pm

dan wrote:Here is a link to that podcast:

things got hectic...still planning to listen.
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:03 pm

Timmy wrote:Czabs, you said you feel as though you will be tromping through some possible bedding to even get to a tree you will be able to glass the fields in. Is this the same way in you would take if you were to hunt the area? If it is, and you will go thru that area regardless, maybe it would be beneficial to do some scouting before season. If you are going to push deer out of that bedding area getting in there, it might be better to push them out of there before season rather than the day of the hunt in hopes that those deer would possibly relocate to another nearby bedding area that you could hunt.

Yes its the same way in I will be taking and the only way in. The thing is I could possibly blind set up on them coming back to bed in the AM...and if nothing shows could circle around and setup on other potential bedding areas. The area I wan to hunt isn't very big and spots are limited due to private chunks...I did not end up scouting it. Had other things to do. Its getting to be crunch time. Still might check it out yet this weekend.

Thanks for the input fellas.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:42 am

Just found out I drew a permit for some property that I haven't scouted at all. With the opener less than a week and a half away, I am going to have to do some creative scouting to get in there and get the intel I need. This was a great podcast. Definitely need to get some intel on this spot so I can hunt it more effectively.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:52 am

Move in and hunt when the conditions are at what you think is the best for the spot.....or look it over prior to hunting using a method that will not tip off to the deer that you are there.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:08 am

After looking more closely at the map for the property, I think a few of the best spots will be able to be scouted from the road which is awesome. Otherwise I think I will just hop in hang a stand and adjust as necessary.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:19 am

Deer get spooked all the time. I scout and hunt all the time. I try and limit it to one trip through. I mark potential stand sites. Then I come in to the spot with a stand and hunt. Sometimes I stop my one walk through if I see great sign, and know right away I should stop right there. A lot of it is gut feeling on what to do. I'd say scouting around and hunting is fine around the last week in oct, to the first three weeks in Nov. By that time bucks are cruising and move a lot. And there are lots of human smells in the woods too. So when human scent bothers a buck somewhere, chances are he will relocate to another area that is being hunted and your hunting there, but that buck doesn't know that yet. If you were bed hunting one buck in early season I wouldn't scout.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:52 am

I hope you keep us updated on how it goes.

In listening to the podcast I felt like Dan (please correct me if I'm wrong) was saying get the Intel you need but be very very careful in how you do it. But there also seems to be a strain of "when you need it." To me Dan seems to be ingenious at gathering information to use later to fit the pieces of the puzzle together. But also he is great at seizing an opportunity should it arise, whether it be a new buck or finding an old acquaintance that got out of pocket. I think he spoke about this a bit when he was talking about in-season scouting for clients. A topic (in-season scouting) I'd love to hear far more about.

Your thread got me wondering... In a situation like that... Have any of you guys tried using a something like rabbit dogs to run them out on a rainy day so you could slip through after without leaving much scent? Or anything like that? ,... As a last ditch effort.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Czabs
500 Club

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:10 pm

podcast.php

Podcast was phenomenal. Everytime I hear Dan talk I get all these crazy ideas :lol:

I'm checkin it out. Made up my mind. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”