New Property - Looking for Advice

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

justin84
500 Club

New Property - Looking for Advice

Unread postby justin84 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:40 am

It has been awhile since I've been on the Beast. We recently moved and work has been crazy.

I got permission to hunt this property recently. I think for now I'm going to stay out of there, but I'm looking for ideas on where to hang an observation stand. The blue lines are creeks. Might even be able to glass from the road, which I've never done before.

As always, any advice is appreciated!

BHC

Re: New Property - Looking for Advice

Unread postby BHC » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:36 am

I see two funnels at bottom right and one at top right. May like the left corner of that wood lot at the bottom. But I'd be keying on those funnels during the rut..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:51 am

If its planted in corn, your not doing much observing. If not, I would either observe the upper left hand area 1st, or walk the field edge looking for sign entering the fields. Then, based on whether or not I was risking bumping a buck out of that corner, I would set up in the center treeline but be parked at the farm, and watch the back. If nothing enters the field in daylight, I would walk the field edge in the back looking for sign coming out, and figure its coming from the woods edge near the swamp... Some wind rules to consider when observing (or hunting for that matter) Bucks may be bedding on the edge of the field if the wind is blowing from woods to field and they may be watching you... So stealthy approach, and looking on the right day might result in better sightings based on a wind that puts them closer to the field edge. In this case, the primary focus would be on the back of the property most likely, and with East winds being uncommon, I would suspect buck bedding to be on the far side edge of the woods.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:25 am

Thanks guys. I'm going to take a ride by this weekend and see what is planted.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:43 am

I finally made it out to this property last night and discovered the field to the left of the center treeline is overgrown, no crops. I didn't want to walk it so not sure what if anything is planted on the back side to the right of the treeline.

The field to the south, which I don't have access to, is planted with soybeans. I do have access to that southernmost treeline though.

With a north wind this weekend, I might leave it be for now. Maybe wait for a south wind of some kind? Would you do the same?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:49 am

I'd stick with cameras on a property like that one. Depending on the surrounding properties it feels like a property that blows up with activity during the rut but is lack luster most of the time. I'd monitor the cameras, keep your doe groups comfortable, and move in when the time is right.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:07 am

That's a good reminder to be patient, thank you. I might wait on this one and try some of my new scouted public spots.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”