swampy scout - need a little advice

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

deereload

swampy scout - need a little advice

Unread postby deereload » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:54 am

so I hunt heavily pressured hunting land in Illinois and the area is relatively flat with not much swing in elevation - so its mainly flat . I scouted a swapy patch of area that runs north and south and is about 100 yards long - to the east is a very small ridge of acorns ( they are starting to drop } and to the west there is a hay field . the area inside the swamp is about 2 feet of water with all of the rain we have been having - the drier parts are off to the edges of the swamp - located beds and track , but they were probably doe beds and tracks as they were on the smaller side . area of cattails looked good but did not provide much buck sign that i was able to see -not too much high ground within the swamp - any suggestions as if i should give this area a shot or just move on - the prevailing winds are mainly out of the south / south west

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: swampy scout - need a little advice

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:58 pm

deereload wrote:so I hunt heavily pressured hunting land in Illinois and the area is relatively flat with not much swing in elevation - so its mainly flat . I scouted a swapy patch of area that runs north and south and is about 100 yards long - to the east is a very small ridge of acorns ( they are starting to drop } and to the west there is a hay field . the area inside the swamp is about 2 feet of water with all of the rain we have been having - the drier parts are off to the edges of the swamp - located beds and track , but they were probably doe beds and tracks as they were on the smaller side . area of cattails looked good but did not provide much buck sign that i was able to see -not too much high ground within the swamp - any suggestions as if i should give this area a shot or just move on - the prevailing winds are mainly out of the south / south west

If your finding buck sign around the bedding areas outside of the rut give it a shot... If not, concentrate on the doe bedding during rut.
deereload

Re: swampy scout - need a little advice

Unread postby deereload » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:27 pm

thanks for the advice Dan

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”