glassing marshes

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Peeps22
500 Club

glassing marshes

Unread postby Peeps22 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:20 am

What are some tips and tricks to glassing marshes? Are you getting up in a tree overlooking the marsh? How close are you getting to suspected bedding areas or single beds? I glass farm country alot but have never glassed deep in a marsh before.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: glassing marshes

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:44 am

Its hard to day light glass a marsh, but it can be done. Observation stands work best, getting up high and off to the side of the action. You can't see bucks in cattails most of the time, but if you can see into a brushy bedding area, that works, or if you can see an area of saw grass they pass thru near bedding...
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:19 pm

I've had success using a trail camera over the grassy areas like dan said. I have the camera about 15-20 feet up and set up with a solar panel. I set it up in plot mode to take pics every 2 min for the first and last two hours of daylight. I can cover about 100x100 yd area and see if anything is passing through. I usually check it every three weeks or so but i also have a stand up in the tree. Im set up right on a ditch bank so i can drive up to it cross the ditch pull the card and be gone in less than 5 min.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:00 pm

Most large cattail marshes have dike roads to gain access to interior areas. I like to cruise these with my mountain bike and glass from them since they are usually the highest point and can give you a pretty good view. Nice thing about the bike is I can cover a lot of area rather quickly in places nobody else goes.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”