Really Cool - Winter Scouting + New Bing Aerials...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BuckyHunter13

Really Cool - Winter Scouting + New Bing Aerials...

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:40 pm

I scouted this marsh pretty hard this winter, found likely buck beds in areas I suspected. I marked the beds by dropping pins while in the marsh and took pictures of the beds, and felt good about the data I was gathering. I've been looking at aerials to focus in on new spots, applying the new intel to the info I gathered from cameras and the several encounters I had with two mature bucks all season.

I suspect these beds are used when the pressure is turned up, and possibly on windy days. I noticed today that bing updated their aerials and the detail is awesome. While I was trying to make sense of trails, a few jumped out at me. Not because of their heaviness as much as the distinct patterns.

I saw these bucks a ton during the rut into january and february (on camera), but I don't think I was aggressive enough. [glow=red]I don't want to blow them out of the country before the rut, but how do you think I should hunt them? I can't go up to the northern field or very much of the northern trails really. Do I hug the water edge and try to get up a tree without getting skylined? Wait for a windy day and get in the marsh after him?[/glow] Seems bold when I had so many close encounters during the rut that I feel better prepared for this year.

The unmarked aerial...

The trails that caught my attention.... (there are multiple J hooks)

Zoomed out...

Dropped pin from winter - (I have pins dropped at both beds, but you get the point.) :dance:?

One of the beds

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Really Cool - Winter Scouting + New Bing Aerials...

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:45 pm

Nice detective work. Go git em.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
BuckyHunter13

Re: Really Cool - Winter Scouting + New Bing Aerials...

Unread postby BuckyHunter13 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:26 am

Thanks. Trying to determine which winds are going to be best for this spot. If I use the narrow water channel as a thermal sump I can prob get away with light winds from most directions, assuming they drop off in the last half hour. There's another bed on the island to the south, but I don't know if it's used this time of year. I know it gets good use in the winter when the water is frozen. With a west wind I can maybe hunt both beds, provided im not busted getting into the tree.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”