Hill Country Question?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dutch

Hill Country Question?

Unread postby Dutch » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:36 am

Being new to beast hunting this year I obviously don't have nearly enough beds. Im constantly looking for new properties. Just picked up a small farm of 40 acres today. So scouting from a map because its to close to the season. In marsh bucks were told to walk the transition line near buck bedding and when we find hot sign jack up then and there. Very few swamps here. Some but small. Most of the terrain would closely resemble hill country, but not as drastic . So I have the areas picked out (points etc.). Now what? If you've never scouted the property how would you know how far you could advance towards the bucks bed without being busted? How far can he see? The marsh you most likely will have more cover. In the timber you don't know what your going to get. So basically my question is how do you approach a possible bed that you've only scouted on line but you plan to hunt that day

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Hill Country Question?

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:50 am

Look at the terrain in front of you and take a guess based on how thick it is on how close you can get... Your going to fail, even I fail at this. If your not bumping a buck every now and then, your probably not getting close enough... The only way to find out how close is to close is to fail.

And the more you fail, the better you will get at not failing.
Dutch

Unread postby Dutch » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:19 am

Understand
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:58 am

When scouting transitions near bedding for hot sign I like to walk slow and look ahead. Every ten feet or so I take the time to look ahead up to twenty yards. I'm looking for not only the sign but also a good tree to set up in. This allows me to set up before walking all over hot sign.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:55 am

cdeam wrote:When scouting transitions near bedding for hot sign I like to walk slow and look ahead. Every ten feet or so I take the time to look ahead up to twenty yards. I'm looking for not only the sign, but also a good tree to set up in. This allows me to set up before walking all over hot sign.

This is a really good tip!!! And it doesn't only pertain to hill country. ANYTIME you are scouting with your stand on your back, ready to hunt, you should be doing this. I picked this up in an "off the cuff" comment by Dan a couple years ago, and it has helped me more than anything else in the last couple years while hunting "commando"!!
TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:21 am

dan wrote:Look at the terrain in front of you and take a guess based on how thick it is on how close you can get... Your going to fail, even I fail at this. If your not bumping a buck every now and then, your probably not getting close enough... The only way to find out how close is to close is to fail.

And the more you fail, the better you will get at not failing.

This response should be a patented quote....good stuff dan

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”