Where should I set up, River bottom or pine ridge?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lweingart

Where should I set up, River bottom or pine ridge?

Unread postby lweingart » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:11 am

The place I'll be hunting for bow season in N Fl its a river bottom with lots of white and red oaks. All around the river bottom is a ride that's mostly pines. I've been trying to figure out my best bet from Google earth and topo maps but I'm still not sure if I should be hunting the edge of the ridge or down in the oaks.

I will be targeting does cause in Fl the only time you can kill does is during bow season.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

TNstalker

Re: Where should I set up, River bottom or pine ridge?

Unread postby TNstalker » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:35 pm

Hunt the food for the doe's is what I'd do. But if ur gonna hunt the same place for ur bucks be careful how u do that u can let them know ur there if she runs the wrong way or u enter the wrong way.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:52 pm

They will bed on the points in low pressure, and they will bed down low in high pressure, most of the time. Really the only way to be positive is to go there and look around at the deer sign. If your hunting does and don't care about bucks, I would expect the oaks to be you best bet early season.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:12 am

Bow hunting the bottoms will be tough because of swirly winds but that is where the deer will be IMO.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
lweingart

Unread postby lweingart » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:24 am

Thanks guys I'm waiting on my Marsh bucks DVD to arrive in hopes it helps me find some deer. I will be putting in a lot of scouting time this year on my lease in search of some good bucks.

My lease is planted pines with a good bit of hard woods. (Oaks and cypress) will the hill country DVD help me any in these woods. It's all flat lamd with creeks running through it.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:58 pm

IMO yes. When it comes down to it you are hunting bucks that hold tight to their bedding area, despite the terrain, the tactics and principles transcend in many ways.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
lweingart

Unread postby lweingart » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:45 am

OK I'll get the hill country DVD too.

Dan, you say the bucks will bed on points in low pressure. Will the does do the same? My game plan for this hunt is to target does between bedding and food. This is a public land hunt but on my private land lease I will for sure be looking for buck sigh a lot more now. I can't wait to watch your dvd's.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:06 pm

lweingart wrote:OK I'll get the hill country DVD too.

Dan, you say the bucks will bed on points in low pressure. Will the does do the same? My game plan for this hunt is to target does between bedding and food. This is a public land hunt but on my private land lease I will for sure be looking for buck sigh a lot more now. I can't wait to watch your dvd's.

I generally never waste time hunting does during an open season for bucks, I just shoot does if I need one when one comes wondering past on a buck hunt or an observation hunt that I either don't feel real confident on shooting a buck, or don't think shooting a doe will hurt my chances... The season is to short in my mind to waste a day I could be buck hunting... With that said, if there is to much pressure on the hills for bucks, likely there will be few does as well...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”