new area scouted the other day

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tbunao
500 Club

new area scouted the other day

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:09 am

This area I noticed the other day and decided to do a quick run through. Crossing the creek from the parking area I ran directly in to a little patch of woods that is a funnel between the railroad tracks and the creek. the tracks have a fence going down them except where the red lines are. One trail runs it and I found 2 scrapes from last year. To the left and below the tracks is some heavy cover mainly crab apple trees. The canopy is only 10 ft high and goes on forever. One lone birch tree is in there that I could set up in. The area is littered with deer tracks but no tracks with any big size. I'm thinking it's run by doe. Above the tracks is a marshy grass area leading up to the little island. I did not find any beds in that island but one main trail running from the bottom of the hill towards the point. Some old rubs scattered through out. Trails also run the transition line around the marsh heading towards the tracks and creek. I'm thinking that these areas will be a good rut sit or until hunters start invading the top of the hill where access is easy and it's "big woods".

tbunao
500 Club

Re: new area scouted the other day

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:13 am

This is the topo with the big woods included. I feel that most of the bow hunters will be focusing on top that may lead to pushing bucks down to the marsh and heavy cover areas or because of the high doe numbers below be good for the rut. Just giving myself more options so I don't burn my other spots out. Any thoughts?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: new area scouted the other day

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:59 am

I like the area you are concentrating on... Thats likely where I would head too...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”