Hiding a trail cam. Camo, adding brush camo, placement?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Hiding a trail cam. Camo, adding brush camo, placement?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:01 am

Not sure if this fits in scouting or equipment....

How do you guys hide a trailcam? Im mainly looking to hide them from tresspassers, or from other hunters on public lands. I was thinking of simply rubber banding some leaves or grasses to the sides or front, but Im not very artistic, so I cant picture it working very well. What have you used in the natural settings to hide them? Im thinking high in a V of a tree, low next to a stump or blowdown? Just curious if anyone has tried something similar. Thanks

If you simply mount them 10' high, have you ever had one stolen at this height?

backstraps

Re: Hiding a trail cam. Camo, adding brush camo, placement?

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:03 am

I have done many things to camouflage my trail cameras. The technique that I prefer to hide trail cameras from trespassers is I take a hot glue gun and glue real tree bark to the camera. This technique works good enough that knock on wood I have not had one stolen yet.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:19 am

If you want to just hang them high look in the "trail camera mounts" thread, bassboys posted a nice trail cam mount. You can make them for just a couple dollars a pop.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:32 am

jmaas07 wrote:If you want to just hang them high look in the "trail camera mounts" thread, bassboys posted a nice trail cam mount. You can make them for just a couple dollars a pop.

Thanks, I did see that and started buying the i bolts to make sure they fit my cams. What a simple yet amazing idea. Thanks Bassboys for that!!!
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:33 am

backstraps wrote:I have done many things to camouflage my trail cameras. The technique that I prefer to hide trail cameras from trespassers is I take a hot glue gun and glue real tree bark to the camera. This technique works good enough that knock on wood I have not had one stolen yet.

Cool idea, Ill have to try that too and see if I can make it look believable.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:30 am

johndeere506 wrote:
jmaas07 wrote:If you want to just hang them high look in the "trail camera mounts" thread, bassboys posted a nice trail cam mount. You can make them for just a couple dollars a pop.

Thanks, I did see that and started buying the i bolts to make sure they fit my cams. What a simple yet amazing idea. Thanks Bassboys for that!!!

They work very well, it is a great idea

Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:37 am

I hang them about 10-12' high. Basically one stick up with an rock climbing aid (etrier). I like to attach small branches that overlap the straps to break those up and a few around the camera to help break up its lines. I usually just wedge a branch behind the top of the camera to get the angle I need.

johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:35 am

Dhurtubise wrote:I hang them about 10-12' high. Basically one stick up with an rock climbing aid (etrier). I like to attach small branches that overlap the straps to break those up and a few around the camera to help break up its lines. I usually just wedge a branch behind the top of the camera to get the angle I need.

Ive always used a small stick too for leveling, but havent put them up high yet. I would hate to have a good cam stolen, but wouldnt having a cam stolen tell you its not an area worth hunting since others are in there? Maybe not if you have known good bucks and know where they come from/bed.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:33 am

Moving away from the strap and bungee is equally as valuable as mounting high. Many cams are located because the straps stand out 360 degrees around the tree.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:55 am

I like the rubber band and hot glue idea.

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:10 am

phade wrote:Moving away from the strap and bungee is equally as valuable as mounting high. Many cams are located because the straps stand out 360 degrees around the tree.

Agreed, I've been using screw in mounts to avoid straps. On a tip here recently I adapted my mount to para cord. It's much smaller & comes in numerous colors to match trees. If I need additional camo, I'll add a collar to my bracket to hold vines, sticks, leaves, or artificial stuff.

Screw in
Para cord
Brush collar. This one is going on a pine limb.

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:24 pm

I tape over the camera and IR holes on my cam than spray paint green or brown or both. After placed on the tree i try nipping a few branches and weaving them in around the bungees or straps to camo in the camera.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:46 pm

I hang mine just above human eye level. Putting them higher might be even better but I have yet to loose one on public by putting them 7' or so off the ground. Humans are like deer they don't look up very often or if they do they are just looking for a tree stand and won't see a little camera

The other thing that helps is putting my cams at least 30 feet off trails. If my camera is on a field edge I set it 20 feet back from that field edge so its not visible until someone is right in front of it. I do that anyway to reduce the impact on deer but when I am out scouting and see other people's cams the ones that are super obvious are the ones right on top of trails. I am amazed how many guys hang cams 10 feet off a trail, scrape or whatever. I guess their primary goal is nice close up pics.

Some good ideas for camouflaging and mounting in this thread.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:31 am

I'm going to try hanging them with one stick too. Some good camo ideas here though I'm going to try as well as elevated.

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:10 am

I am using a piece of 1"x1/8" steel plate, paracord and some theaded rod. This was invented by Timmy on this site. Its cheap and works good. I carry some channel locks in my pack to bend the steel into position. I have to use the straps/paracord to stay legal.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”