New Marsh Area (going in blind)

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JackKnifeJake

New Marsh Area (going in blind)

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:05 am

Would the red dots be good places for a setup? The area is a marsh/river bottom flood plain. The shallow river borders the east boundary. First time marsh scouting just seeing if im on the right track...

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: New Marsh Area (going in blind)

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:42 pm

Looks good. I like the points on the north side looks like 3 of them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:46 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Looks good. I like the points on the north side looks like 3 of them.

X2. Like that point to the north. Looks like good cover but might be tough to fibd a tree setup

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:02 am

The areas I marked in BLUE look like likely bedding areas to me... My set ups would be along the yellow lines along the transition line, and would be based on trails coming out of bedding.
JackKnifeJake

Unread postby JackKnifeJake » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:47 am

went out and scouted a piece of this swamp last weekend and hung a camera on converging trails leading out to a point. i hit the area right off the river in the upper right corner. The high ground peninsula was only about 10yards wide then ballooned out at the end,(I didn't go all the way out cuz I didn't want to mess anything up I didn't need to) the water was about two feet deep. The transition lines went from clean swamp water(no tall vegetation) to briars/ some type of aquatic plant that grew up to five feet high/to small (1 to 4inch trees)/ to short(50ft) mature trees with poison vines on every tree about as big as my wrist. its about 150 yards from the edge of the clean swamp water to the short mature trees. ive never walked through anything that thick and nasty, it was a little intimidating.

I'm thinking either a ground hunt in the mature tree area(higher dry ground/clean line of sight down low) or maybe setting up in the swamp on a tripod off to one side of the 10 yard peninsula. Its probably going to be a morning hunt as I cannot get to the dry ground without moving through the 5ft water vegetation and being a bull in a china shop. the predominant wind is ne and the peninsula runs east to west, with the west end going out into the swamp.

there were no rubs that I could see, but I did find buck tracks on the trail where I placed the camera. They weren't very big, 3 fingers would be stretching it. I only had a little time to look around since I had the old lady waiting at the canoe on the river. The good news Is I didn't see one piece of hunter sign on the whole mile wander to the island.

I might go back with a hatchet and some poison ivy killer to set up a couple trees for next season and just use this season for intel. there are 8 or 9 other spots that id like to check out when I have the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”